Leyton Orient lose again at Brisbane Road despite Paul McCallum’s late header against Blackpool

Leyton Orient's Nigel Atangana shows his disappointment (pic: Simon O'Connor).

Leyton Orient's Nigel Atangana shows his disappointment (pic: Simon O'Connor). - Credit: Archant

Sky Bet League Two: Leyton Orient 1 Blackpool 2

Leyton Orient fell to their eighth League Two defeat at Brisbane Road this season after another disappointing display at home to Blackpool.

Goals from Jamille Matt and Tom Aldred, one in each half, put the Tangerines deservedly two goals ahead.

Paul McCallum pulled one back for Alberto Cavasin’s men late on, but it wasn’t enough and it is a seventh consecutive loss at home - a club record for the east Londoners.

The O’s, unsurprisingly, were unchanged from the team which started at Colchester United last weekend.

You may also want to watch:

Even the bench was the same with five teenagers included again among Alan Dunne and McCallum.

It was the visitors who made the brighter start with Kyle Vassell causing a nuisance and Danny Pugh volleying over after five minutes.

Most Read

Nigel Atangana responded with O’s first effort, though Sam Slocombe easily saved in the Tangerines goal.

Two minutes later and Blackpool nearly took the lead when Kelvin Mellor’s strong tackle won the ball back and left Callum Kennedy in pain.

Brad Potts was picked out unmarked in the Orient area, yet Alex Cisak made a fine save and it remained goalless.

After a spell of pressure from the away side, Gavin Massey broke well, sprinting up the pitch before finding Jay Simpson.

Simpson passed back to the former Colchester United winger, though Slocombe saved well and he was offside anyway.

And in the 17th minute, not the 18th like planned, the South Stand begun chanting ‘Stand up for the Orient’ as part of the protest by Leyton Orient Fans’ Trust.

The Blackpool supporters joined in with their own version of the song before focus turned back to the pitch.

With the clock approaching the half an hour mark, proceedings had been fairly even at Brisbane Road, but soon O’s were to find themselves in a familiar position.

Yvan Erichot allowed Jamille Matt to run past him too easily and despite Tom Parkes coming across, the Blackpool forward fired into the roof of the net.

The Tangerines had marginally enjoyed the better of the opening 30 minutes and now led in east London.

Orient, to their credit, almost replied immediately two minutes after the opener through Massey.

First Michael Collins brought the ball forward and found Atangana, who drove towards the opposition defence.

The French midfielder passed to Massey and his firm drive, from 25-yards, smashed the crossbar and went away to safety.

It was an encouraging moment for Cavasin’s team and soon after both sides had opportunities to score.

First Andy Taylor curled a free kick around the O’s wall, but Cisak got down well to tip behind for a corner.

Collins then had the ball in the Blackpool net after controlling Nicky Hunt’s cross, but he was offside and his effort was disallowed in the 37th minute.

Orient were enjoying their best spell in the game and Parkes went close with two strikes, the first blocked before his second was volleyed over.

Tangerines reminded everybody of their threat two minutes before the interval when Colin Daniel got past Kennedy too easily.

Parkes did well to toe poke the ball away from goal before Cisak made an important save to keep the score just 1-0.

Two minutes of stoppage time were added on at the end of the half, but O’s were unable to find a breakthrough and trailed at the break.

Cavasin was forced to make an early change when Erichot limped off and was replaced by Dunne.

The ex-Millwall captain moved to right-back with Hunt coming inside to partner Parkes in the centre of Orient’s back four.

Dunne was immediately into the action with Massey doing his best to make something happen.

Collins picked the ball up and despite having few options in front of him, threaded a ball into the path of the O’s substitute.

But Dunne’s low cross was blocked and Blackpool survived before things got worst for the hosts.

Vassell chased a long ball and sprinted past Hunt before forcing Cisak to parry his effort wide.

From the resulting Danny Pugh corner, Tom Aldred met the cross and forced the ball over the line.

The east Londoners called for handball, though referee Brendan Malone dismissed the appeals and the goal stood.

Some home supporters chanted for ‘Becchetti out’ before louder cries of ‘Stand up for the Orient’ echoed around Brisbane Road.

Sandro Semedo was the next player introduced for O’s, although Cavasin surprisingly took off Collins, which was greeted by some discontent.

Although the east Londoners were trailing, they looked void of ideas and Massey was the only attacking player trying to make something happen.

Still it took Cavasin until the 75th minute to make another change with McCallum replacing the lacklustre Palmer.

Massey won Orient a free kick two minutes later, but Blackpool defended it well before breaking and Potts poked past Cisak after Matt’s knock down, though Parkes did well to clear off the line.

Semedo tried his luck seven minutes from time around 30-yards-out, but his strike flew just past the post.

The seconds were ticking away at Brisbane Road and then Orient gave their fans a glimmer of hope.

An excellent cross by Dunne found McCallum and he brilliantly headed past Slocombe and halved the Blackpool lead.

Straight after the goal, Semedo played a sensational pass out to Massey, but his cross just too high for McCallum.

Five minutes of stoppage time were then added on and the O’s goalscorer nearly produced another goal.

McCallum knock down a long ball into Weir’s path, though Clark Robertson blocked the Orient captain’s effort.

But Cavasin’s team ran out of time with Blackpool holding on to claim a deserved three points in east London.

It is another home defeat for O’s – their ninth at Brisbane Road this season in all competitions – and they drop to 20th ahead of hosting fellow strugglers Exeter City on Tuesday.

Leyton Orient: Cisak; Hunt, Erichot (Dunne 53), Parkes, Kennedy; Weir; Massey, Atangana; Collins (Semedo 66); Simpson, Palmer (McCallum 75).

Unused substitutes: Sargeant, Pollock, Adeboyejo, Ochieng.

Blackpool: Slocombe; Mellor, Robertson, Aldred, Taylor; Potts, Pugh, Payne, Daniel (McAllister 82); Matt (Gnanduillet 84), Vassell (Philliskirk 90).

Unused substitutes: Boney, Cullen, Nolan, Osayi-Samuel.

Attendance: 4,376 (361 Blackpool supporters).

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter
Comments powered by Disqus