Leyton Orient need extra-time winner to see off Bognor Regis Town in FA Trophy

Macauley Bonne celebrates after scoring another goal for Leyton Orient (pic: Simon O'Connor).

Macauley Bonne celebrates after scoring another goal for Leyton Orient (pic: Simon O'Connor). - Credit: Archant

FA Trophy second round (AET): Bognor Regis Town 1 Leyton Orient 2

Goals from Macauley Bonne and Josh Koroma saw Leyton Orient progress into the third round of the FA Trophy, but only after a nervy 2-1 extra-time win at Bognor Regis Town.

Justin Edinburgh’s team looked on course for a 1-0 victory at Nyewood Lane when Bonne opened the scoring late on, but the National League South strugglers produced a dramatic equaliser to force another half an hour of play.

During that time, youngster Josh Koroma proved to be the hero for the O’s as he scored just his fourth goal for the club – and first since his hat-trick at Newport County last March – to send Orient into the last-16.

Edinburgh made four changes from the team which drew 0-0 with Boreham Wood in the National League last weekend.

You may also want to watch:

Josh Coulson and James Dayton were both rested, so loan duo Bondz N’Gala and Lamar Reynolds replaced them with the latter making his full debut.

Dan Happe dropped to the bench and George Elokobi took his place, making his first appearance since September 9 following a hamstring injury.

Most Read

Meanwhile Alex Lawless missed out with a sore groin, so Norwich City under-23 ace Ebou Adams was handed his full debut in the centre of midfield.

Yet again it was another strong side from O’s boss Edinburgh, which demonstrates his intention in the competition.

The first effort of note occurred in the fifth minute when Dan Beck cut inside, but fired wide via a deflection.

From the resulting corner Richard Gilot headed over as Orient managed to avoid conceding an early goal.

With 11 minutes on the clock Dean Brill was called into action and denied Ibra Sekajja with a good save.

Bognor had made the better start, but O’s reminded their hosts of their quality with quarter of an hour played.

Reynolds combined with Craig Clay and the latter released Bonne, but his effort was saved by Dan Lincoln.

The next genuine opportunity occurred 10 minutes later when Beck’s cross-cum-shot nearly caught out Brill, but found the side-netting.

Orient were growing into the contest though and Reynolds was again involved in the 27th minute when he go to the byline and crossed in for Bonne, but his glancing header took a deflection and went wide.

Reynolds had a shot of his own minutes later, though his effort took a deflection and went out for a corner.

The ex-Barking youngster should have perhaps done better four minutes before half time when Jake Caprice chipped in for Reynolds and he could only volley over from a dangerous position.

A minute of stoppage time was added on at Nyewood Lane, but it went by without anything to note and remained goalless at the break.

Brill, despite not having many saves to make, was being kept busy by Bognor putting a number of dangerous crosses into the area, though O’s on the whole had defended well by the seaside.

Orient created the first opportunity of the second half as Bonne again got in behind the home defence, but he could only drill wide in the 47th minute.

Less than 60 seconds later and O’s produced another good chance when Harrold linked up with Bonne and this time his effort was on target, yet Lincoln saved.

Just before the hour mark Orient were handed a boost when Gilot received a second yellow for a late tackle on Caprice.

Edinburgh then replaced Elokobi with Happe – following the same policy he took with Coulson in the previous round at Haringey Borough.

Harrold called Lincoln into action soon after with a header, but the Bognor custodian claimed at the second attempt.

The 10-men of Bognor were not going to go down lightly, though, as Curtis Davies embarked on a strong run in the 65th minute, but couldn’t apply the finishing touch.

Orient made another change with 18 minutes left when Koroma came on for Adams, which saw Jobi McAnuff move into the middle.

Bonne had the ball in the back of the net soon after, but his effort was ruled out for offside and it remained goalless.

The Zimbabwe international was involved again in the 74th minute when he flicked into Harrold’s path, but the forward volleyed wide.

Edinburgh’s men began to up the ante with time running out and McAnuff drilled off target from long range with 78 played.

The O’s cause was not helped, however, when Joe Widdowson earned a second yellow for a foul on the edge of his own area.

Davies went close from the resulting free kick, but Brill got down low to save the effort of the Bognor man.

And then with seven minutes of the 90 left the deadlock was finally broken and the visitors took the lead.

Harrold flicked a corner across the face of goal and Bonne was on hand at the back post to fire home.

Myles Judd was immediately brought on in place of Harrold and reverted to left-back following Widdowson’s red card.

Bognor were not giving up though and in the 88th minute they produced a leveller as Jimmy Muitt smashed past Brill from outside the area.

Five minutes of stoppage time was added on at the end of the 90 and no winner could be produced so the tie went to extra-time.

Orient started the first period of extra-time strongly with Clay curling a shot wide before Reynolds did the same in the 94th minute.

The O’s went even closer four minutes later when Caprice fired an effort against the post and Reynolds could only lash the rebound over.

Kristian Campbell then had a shot of his own, but he failed to trouble Brill following a Bognor corner.

Reynolds was in the action again two minutes before the first break as McAnuff found the winger, but he curled over.

Orient then took the lead again in the 105th minute as although Happe saw an effort cleared off the line, the ball came for substitute Koroma and he curled past Lincoln impressively from outside the area.

At the end of half time in extra-time, O’s led and were hoping it would be enough to send them into the third round.

The second period of extra-time began slowly with Brill having little to do as Orient worked hard to keep hold of their lead.

In fact it was O’s who pushed for another goal and Koroma went close twice in the 118th minute.

Edinburgh’s men countered quickly and Bonne squared for the Orient teenager and his first effort was saved by Lincoln before the Bognor goalkeeper denied the sub soon after too.

A single minute of stoppage time was added on at the end of the 120 and much to the delight of the travelling fans, O’s held on to progress to the third round.

It was far from straight-forward for Orient, but they had got the job done and can look forward to the draw on Monday now.

Leyton Orient: Brill; Caprice, N’Gala, Elokobi (Happe 60), Widdowson; McAnuff, Adams (Koroma 72), Clay, Reynolds; Harrold (Judd 85), Bonne.

Unused substitutes: Grainger, Mooney.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter
Comments powered by Disqus