Leyton Orient players and staff still waiting for wages to be paid
- Credit: Archant
O’s players were not paid bonuses for February despite receiving their wages for that month
Leyton Orient players and staff are still waiting to be paid their wages for March as of this morning (Thursday).
Some club employees were told they would receive their wages on April 13 (today), but it appears another promise could be broken.
The players and staff were due to be paid on March 31 and weren’t before then being told they would receive their wages on Thursday April 6.
But less than 24 hours before they were set to be paid their wages on April 6, Orient employees were informed they would have to wait another few days.
O’s boss Omer Riza met with chairman Francesco Becchetti on Friday and the Italian insisted all staff and players would be paid.
And some employees were told yesterday (Wednesday) that they would be paid their wages for March today (Thursday).
But as of yet that isn’t the case, although Orient do have until 4pm today to process the payment.
If they fail to then O’s players and staff will not receive their wages for March until Tuesday April 18 at the earliest.
By that point, Orient would have played two more games - away to Luton Town and at home to Hartlepool United.
Relegation is set to be confirmed over the Easter weekend and it is likely to occur with the staff and players yet to be paid.
- 1 Footballer convicted of hate crime after homophobic abuse of opponent
- 2 8 charged after drugs raids in Hackney and Tower Hamlets
- 3 How many Covid patients are in hospital in east London this week?
- 4 Pole thrown on railway tracks 'caused over 11 hours of delays'
- 5 Roman Road shop blaze 'believed to be accidental'
- 6 Bow Lock murder: Victim's two girlfriends give evidence at Old Bailey
- 7 Man accused of Yasmin Begum killing denies murder and burglary
- 8 Police appeal to identify man in investigation into Subway robbery
- 9 Travel bulletin: Islington, Hackney, Tower Hamlets, Newham
- 10 Convicted terrorist jailed for breaching release conditions
Although O’s players were paid their wages for February, it is understood they didn’t receive bonuses they were due.
It is the latest bad news story involving the Brisbane Road club, who have endured a terrible 2017.