Leyton Orient’s Gavin Massey wins Sky Bet League Two award for Portsmouth goal
- Credit: Patrick Khachfe/JMP
O’s winger happy to earn recognistion for the strike, but disappointed it didn’t help pick up a positive result at Fratton Park
Leyton Orient’s Gavin Massey is the Sky Bet League Two Goal of the Month winner for January after receiving 55% of the public vote following his sensational strike at Portsmouth on January 14.
A game of head tennis ended when Paul McCallum laid the ball off on the edge of the area for Massey to whip a majestic curling shot into the far corner.
Lead Sky Bet EFL Goal of the Month judge and Sky Sports Pundit Don Goodman said: “It’s undoubtedly been a tough season on and off the pitch for Orient, but this strike was sure to bring a smile to everyone associated with the club.
“He was begging for the ball to be rolled in front of him, and when it was he knew exactly what he was going to do, executing the curling strike to perfection.”
You may also want to watch:
Massey said: “It is great to be recognised for the goal and it’s the first time in my career I have won the award so that makes it even more special.
“The only disappointment was that the goal didn’t help us pick up a positive result on the day.”
- 1 Teenager found dead in Victoria Park
- 2 Driver arrested after police 'drugs patrol' stops car in Whitechapel
- 3 Two in five people in Tower Hamlets may have had Covid-19
- 4 Post deliveries in east London hit by Covid crisis among Royal Mail staff
- 5 Disgraceful management of the pandemic
- 6 'I can save the planet with my seaweed' scientist in east London claims
- 7 Drug and alcohol abuse by Tower Hamlets parents and children soars
- 8 Leyton Orient boss Embleton expecting more movement in the transfer window
- 9 Leyton Orient sign Dan Kemp on a permanent deal from West Ham United
- 10 Leyton Orient seal late victory over Morecambe
Orient’s number 11 beat off competition from Newport County’s Dan Butler and Accrington Stanley’s Shay McCartan for the award.
And it might not be the last gong Massey receives from Sky Bet with the winger all set to be nominated for League Two Player of the Month for February.
The ex-Colchester United winger has scored four times this month and his goals have earned O’s four points.