Leyton Orient’s horror home run continues with League Two defeat to Crewe Alexandra

Alberto Cavasin looks on from the touchline (pic: Simon O'Connor).

Alberto Cavasin looks on from the touchline (pic: Simon O'Connor). - Credit: Archant

Sky Bet League Two: Leyton Orient 0 Crewe Alexandra 2

Poor defending cost Leyton Orient again as they suffered yet another League Two defeat at Brisbane Road this time to Crewe Alexandra.

The Railwaymen opened the scoring against the run of play in the 33rd minute, but were so comfortable afterwards.

Alberto Cavasin’s team struggled to create chances throughout and the home fans chanted ‘Becchetti out!’ numerous times.

The O’s were unchanged from the team which started and won 3-1 at Hartlepool United last weekend.

You may also want to watch:

Jay Simpson was back fit again and on the bench alongside new signing Michael Collins at Brisbane Road.

Crewe handed a started to former Orient striker Chris Dagnall, who spent 18 months with the east Londoners.

Most Read

Cavasin’s team made an excellent start and won a corner inside the opening 60 seconds, but it came to nothing.

There was an air of confidence about the O’s starting XI and they produced a number of eye catching moves early on.

Sandro Semedo was looking bright and all of the Orient squad were looking more comfortable in possession.

Callum Kennedy tested Ben Garrett in the Railwaymen goal after six minutes before Ollie Palmer had a couple of efforts off target.

Crewe threatened for the first time in the 17th minute when a ball into the box picked out Dagnall.

The ex-O’s forward let fly from a tight angle and forced Alex Cisak to get down low and save well.

Orient continued to look confident and there was much more assurance about the way they were passing.

But the visitors sensed they could get at the hosts back four and Alex Kiwomya showed Jens Janse a clean set of heels in the 23rd minute.

Fortunately for O’s the winger knocked the ball out of play, but it showed what they were potentially capable of.

With half an hour played Orient had clearly been the better side though they had failed to test Garrett enough.

And three minutes later the Railwaymen took the lead against the run of play through George Cooper.

Zoumana Bakayogo’s cross was cut out by Nicky Hunt and Janse tried to clear, but got no distance.

Kiwomya controlled inside the area and his pass found Cooper, who curled past Cisak and into the corner.

It was harsh on Orient after dominating the first half, but they nearly trailed by two in the 35th minute.

Cooper delivered a beautiful low cross into the area and Cisak looked to intercept, but couldn’t get near the ball.

With the Australian leaving his goal unoccupied, Kiwomya tried to find the net, but Tom Parkes made a brilliant clearance.

But three minutes before half time Crewe did find the net again to make it look an uphill battle for O’s.

Kiwomya’s ball into the area was brought down by Harry Davis and he scuffed past Cisak and into the net.

It was another poor piece of defending allowing the Railwaymen skipper to be unmarked in the area.

Two minutes of stoppage time were added on and it went by without note as Orient were booed off at the break.

Collins was introduced for his debut at half time and replaced Jordan Bowery with Cavasin switching to a 4-3-3 formation.

Palmer did his best to try and reduce the arrears in the 52nd minute when he turned well and tested Garrett.

Kennedy’s resulting corner was headed wide by Parkes as two decent opportunities were wasted by O’s.

After those two chances Orient struggled to create anything of note and the frustration of the crowd soon boiled over.

With 21 minutes remaining the South Stand started chanting ‘Becchetti out’ before the West Stand shouted ‘this is embarrassing.’

Cavasin then finally made a double substitution with Ulrich Nnomo and Simpson introduced in the 73rd minute.

Gavin Massey and Nigel Atangana were replaced with the decision to take off the latter greeted with huge boos.

The South Stand began to chant ‘Nigel’ and a large chunk of the crowd sung ‘you don’t know what your doing’ towards the O’s boss.

Nnomo did try to have an impact and showed his pace down the left before crossing into the box.

His centre was cleared out to Robbie Weir, although he could only curl over the crossbar from range.

With the game drawing to a dull close, the majority of Orient supporters again chanted ‘Becchetti out!’ while Nnomo received some medical attention.

The French youngster left the pitch on a stretcher in the 89th minute and needed oxygen meaning Cavasin’s team finished the game with 10 men.

Seven minutes of stoppage time were added on, which made a terrible afternoon for O’s that little bit longer and Billy Bingham should have made it 3-0, but was brilliantly denied by Cisak.

When the full time whistle finally sounded, the defeat coupled with results elsewhere meant Orient dropped into the bottom two.

After 15 league fixtures, the east Londoners have just 15 points to their name and are 23rd in the table.

Leyton Orient: Cisak; Janse, Hunt, Parkes, Kennedy; Massey (Nnomo 73), Atangana (Simpson 73), Weir, Semedo, Bowery (Collins 46), Palmer.

Unused substitutes: Sargeant, Dunne, Adeboyejo, Benedicic.

Crewe Alexandra: Garrett; Turton, Davis, Guthrie; Cooper (Lowery 87), Jones, Hollands, Kiwomya (Ng 89), Lowe (Bingham 78), Dagnall.

Unused substitutes: Richards, Nugent, Udoh, Ng, Ainley.

Attendance: 4,366 (299 Crewe Alexandra supporters).

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter
Comments powered by Disqus