Orient’s National League opener at Salford to be shown live on BT Sport
- Credit: Archant
Justin Edinburgh’s team will take on the new boys in front of the TV cameras
For the second season in a row, Leyton Orient’s National League opener will be broadcast live on BT Sport.
The O’s travel to Salford City on Saturday August 4 and the fixture will kick-off at the earlier time of 12.30pm.
Last season, Orient visited Sutton United on the opening day and the match was also shown live on the TV cameras.
Then-head coach Steve Davis saw his chargers lose 2-0 at Gander Green Lane, but Justin Edinburgh will hope and expect much better this time around.
You may also want to watch:
Orient will be given a stern examination by Salford and should not be fooled by the fact they are new boys to the division.
Ebbsfleet United and AFC Fylde both showed in the 2017/18 campaign the jump up from the league below isn’t a massive one.
- 1 Cops break Covid-19 rules to have haircuts at Bethnal Green police station
- 2 Murder arrest after woman stabbed to death in Whitechapel this morning
- 3 'Grenfell Tower'-type cladding still not removed from New Providence Wharf after 3 years
- 4 Lovely Day for Aldgate School picked to sing on Billy Ocean's new single
- 5 Covid hero who did charity walk in Bow aged 100 now has vaccine
- 6 Police e-fit expert retiring after 15 years at Bethnal Green
- 7 Fury as family homes vanish when Isle of Dogs landlord converts to bedsits
- 8 Two men arrested after police officers assaulted in Limehouse rave
- 9 Man sentenced after teenage boy groomed on Snapchat to sell heroin
- 10 'Racist consultation' protest rejected on Tower Hamlets street closures as Labour sticks to its manifesto
Salford are also owned by ex-Manchester United stars Ryan Giggs, Nicky Butt, Paul Scholes and Gary and Phil Neville.
Since completing a takeover of the club in the summer of 2014, City have gone from the Northern Premier League Division One North to step one of the non-league pyramid.
It has been a whirlwind rise and included a run to the second round of the FA Cup in the 2015/16 season.
The Ammies changed their management team this summer, however, with successful duo Bernard Morley and Anthony Johnson departing after three promotions under their tenure.
Ex-Fleetwood Town and Scunthorpe Town boss Graham Alexander has replaced them and already made his mark on the squad by bringing in the likes of Danny Whitehead from Macclesfield Town and Nathan Pond, formerly of Fleetwood, in addition to others.
Given the finances available to Salford’s experienced manager, it is no surprise to see them named as the bookies favourites for promotion this season at 9/2 with William Hill.
It means the opening day test for Orient is arguably an even tougher one than it was last year at Sutton.
But with a more settled pre-season under their belt, Edinburgh will hope his team can start the new campaign with a statement result at Moor Lane.