Leyton Orient sign experienced Cambridge United defender Josh Coulson on loan
- Credit: Gavin Ellis/TGS Photo
Centre back is exactly the type of defender head coach Steve Davis wanted at Brisbane Road
Leyton Orient have signed experienced Cambridge United defender Josh Coulson on a six-month loan deal.
The 28-year-old will link up with the O’s after only just working his way back from a serious ankle problem.
Coulson made just 12 appearances last season due to injury with his last competitive action taking place back in November.
The U’s academy graduate has featured for Shaun Derry’s team this summer, however, and had a testimonial match earlier this month.
You may also want to watch:
Coulson has spent the last 10 years at the Abbey Stadium and largely been a regular in defence during that time.
He has plenty of non-league experience having started his career with Cambridge in the Conference Premier (now-named National League).
O’s boss Steve Davis spoke this week about the need to bring in another experienced defender and Martin Ling has done just that.
- 1 The Queen lends her name to Royal London’s emergency Covid wards
- 2 Police hunt after stabbing in Cable Street: One man hurt
- 3 No injuries but 20 rescued as firefighters tackle Limehouse blaze
- 4 Death of woman, 75, in Mile End fire could have been avoided
- 5 Police raid cannabis factory near Liverpool Street station: 2 arrests
- 6 Airbnb house party violence leaves police officer with broken finger
- 7 Doctors urge Tower Hamlets mayor to end support for Silvertown Tunnel
- 8 Teenager found dead in Victoria Park
- 9 Tribute to 7th Barts Health Trust worker to die of Covid-19
- 10 Driver arrested after police 'drugs patrol' stops car in Whitechapel
Orient fans can now expect to see Coulson play some part in tomorrow’s friendly with Isthmian Premier club Billericay Town.
Coulson, when speaking to the official Cambridge United website, said: “Last season was a frustrating year having missed a lot of games due to the ankle injury which ruled me out for a long period of the season.
“I’m really happy with this loan as it gives me the chance to play a lot of game time at a very competitive level and work my way back to full match sharpness following such a long time on the sidelines.
“Having just settled into a new home in the area with a young family, this loan is also ideally located as I will be able to travel in each day without any problems.
“Leyton Orient are a big club with great facilities and a good fan base so I’m really looking to this challenge.”