Leyton Orient suffer more home woe as National League new boys AFC Fylde punish Steve Davis’ team

Leyton Orient head coach Steve Davis looks on (pic: Simon O'Connor).

Leyton Orient head coach Steve Davis looks on (pic: Simon O'Connor). - Credit: Archant

National League: Leyton Orient 1 AFC Fylde 2

Leyton Orient sunk to a new low after losing a third consecutive match at home this season after National League new boys AFC Fylde stunned the east Londoners at Brisbane Road with a 2-1 win.

Danny Rowe struck a brace for the Coasters to give them a deserved three points with O’s again not at the races.

Fylde punished some Orient sloppiness and the hosts also squandered several chances on a real day to forget.

Davis made three changes to the team which started the 2-2 draw at Aldershot Town last weekend.

You may also want to watch:

Mark Ellis made his debut after joining from Carlisle United on Thursday and replaced the injured Josh Coulson.

Dan Happe also earned a recall and came in for Jamie Sendles-White, who dropped to the bench.

Most Read

Orient had David Mooney available again and he replaced Joe Widdowson, which saw James Brophy drop to left-back.

Former Dagenham & Redbridge defender Widdowson wasn’t part of the squad after picking up a thigh injury.

The O’s made a terrible start with Craig Clay losing the ball in midfield and Rowe drilled wide with Charlie Grainger scrambling across his goal.

From the resulting goal kick, the Orient custodian knocked the ball out of play, as Orient began nervously.

Thankfully Davis’ team soon settled with James Dayton causing problems on the right before Jobi McAnuff drilled wide with eight minutes played.

It seemed clear that McAnuff’s effort had been deflected away from goal, yet much to the surprise of everyone, referee Simon Barrow gave the visitors a goal kick.

Fylde were looking confident though, and knocking the ball around with authority, which led to them being present with a golden chance to take the lead.

Rowe looked to get a shot off, but was patient and passed into Jonny Smith and he was fouled by Clay on the edge of the area.

With Orient’s wall virtually on the penalty spot, the free kick opportunity looked perfect for a Fylde player to smash towards goal.

And Rowe duly delivered, as he fired past Grainger via a deflection to open the scoring after quarter of an hour.

O’s fans and players were unhappy with Smith following the free kick, but their complaints fell on deaf ears.

Initially, Orient didn’t react well to going behind with not enough quality being displayed in the final third of the pitch.

This changed with 24 minutes played when they began to pass with more confidence and created their first real opportunity.

Happe picked out Bonne and he turned before cutting back for Clay and he drilled a low effort towards goal, but Jay Lynch saved with his feet.

Orient kept up the pressure and won a corner, but were unable to make the most of it and Fylde survived.

It was a lot better from O’s and McAnuff was starting to get on the ball more and his cross briefly caused problems for Lynch.

The hosts had more belief now and another fine move saw them create another chance in the 29th minute.

Grainger wonderfully chipped out to Brophy and he headed onto McAnuff, who spun before playing in the full-back.

Brophy raced away from Andy Bond and looked to be heading for the penalty area, but was brought down by the AFC Fylde captain.

It was cynical foul, but due to the angle, referee Barrow only pulled out a yellow card much to the disappointment of the home supporters.

Orient fans were left even more frustrated when McAnuff’s free kick was overhit and went out for a goal kick.

Although O’s were still trailing, they had to be encouraged by their increasing attacks and with the visitors looking shaky at the back, it seemed only a matter of time before the hosts equalised.

Frustration started to get the better of Orient, however, and instead of continuing to play the way they were, they looked to force the issue.

It took them until the 40th minute to threaten Fylde and again McAnuff was involved, as he won a free kick on the edge after a foul by Lewis Montrose.

Dayton’s delivery was dangerous, but the visitors cleared to McAnuff and he crossed in for Happe, but the youngster headed wide.

Minutes later and O’s created a clearer opening, but failed to make the most of it and couldn’t test Lynch.

McAnuff turned wonderfully inside the area and cut back for Dayton, but he saw his low shot blocked by a defender.

Another good opportunity had gone and with every wasted chance, more groans could be heard at Brisbane Road.

Orient threatened some more during the final exchanges of the first-half, but failed to test Lynch and came in a goal down at the break.

Referee Barrow left the pitch to boos after a poor performance, though some were also reserved for the O’s players after a lacklustre opening 45.

The visitors made two changes at the break with Smith and James Hardy making way for Jordan Richards and Jack Muldoon.

Davis would have hoped to see his team start the second half positively, but things went from bad to worst for the hosts.

Rowe was given too much time and space and looked up and unleashed a stunning strike from 30-yards, which flew into the top corner.

Fylde celebrated after doubling their lead, but the Orient players and staff were stunned at Brisbane Road with 48 minutes played.

O’s should have reduced the arrears immediately when McAnuff’s free kick found Ellis, but he headed over when unmarked.

Davis had seen enough, however, and brought on Matt Harrold with 54 gone, as Mooney made way.

The next good chance went to Bonne when Dayton and Jake Caprice combined well and the latter whipped in a cross, but the Orient forward could only head over from close range.

It was another wasted opportunity and O’s were being made to rue a lack of cutting edge in front of goal.

A second change was made in the 72nd minute with Orient needing a spark and the hero from Aldershot, Rommy Boco, came on.

It wasn’t the substitute who helped O’s get back in the game, but 60 seconds after the change and they did finally score.

A fine driving run by Brophy created an opening for Bonne, but he didn’t take up the option to shoot and instead the ball came out to Dayton.

He chipped to the back post and McAnuff was on hand to head into the bottom corner and pull one back.

Suddenly, with 17 minutes left, Orient were back in the game and Bonne tested the palms of Lynch soon after.

To the credit of the visitors, they managed to kill some of O’s momentum by slowly the game down after the goal.

Orient sprung into life again with 82 played and it was Brophy again providing the inspiration with another excellent run.

The Swindon Town loanee passed out to Dayton and his chipped cross found the sub Harrold, but Lynch saved his header just on the line.

A stoppage occurred soon after with the Fylde goalkeeper needing treatment and it only added to the home sides frustration.

Dayton had a weak shot easily saved by Lynch with four minutes left, but time was running out for Orient.

They were pumping balls forward to Harrold, but not all of them were accurately in the direction of the tall forward.

O’s were given a little bit of help in the dying exchanges when Lewis Montrose was shown a second yellow card.

It was in the first minute of four added on at the end of the 90 and McAnuff tried his luck from range, but his low effort was flicked wide by Bonne.

Davis’ team continued to push and were handed another chance in the final seconds of the contest when Harrold won a free kick.

Caprice took the set-piece and could only fire into the wall and referee Barrow blew the full time whistle straight after.

Orient have gone five matches without a win and drop to 15th as a result of today’s loss with boss Davis under pressure ahead of Wednesday’s trip to Tranmere Rovers.

Leyton Orient: Grainger; Caprice, Ellis, Happe, Brophy; Dayton, Lawless (Boco 72), Clay, McAnuff; Mooney (Harrold 54), Bonne.

Unused substitutes: Sargeant, Sendles-White, Ochieng.

AFC Fylde: Lynch; Burke, Tunnicliffe, Grand, Francis-Angol; Montrose; Hardy (Muldoon 46), Bond, Smith (Richards 46), McCready (Jones 69); Rowe.

Unused substitutes: Blinkhorn, Tasdemir.

Attendance: 4,357 (93 AFC Fylde supporters).

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter
Comments powered by Disqus