Libertines members and fans flock to East End for world premiere of band doc
The world premiere of a documentary about indie band The Libertines opened the East End Film Festival last night and drew past band members and 1,600 people to the Troxy venue.
Carl Barat, Gary Powell and John Hassall from the cult band, which split in 2004, joined crowds for a first look at “The Libertines - There Are No Innocent Bystanders” at a packed screening in Commercial Road.
The only member who was conspicuous by his absence was Barat’s fellow frontman, Pete Doherty.
As the film festival, which runs until May 2, celebrates its tenth anniversary, the film proved a fitting choice for the opening night gala as it features a guided tour of the “Libertines East End” in which each band member was individually profiled.
The access-all-areas doc followed the band as they went on a reunion tour last year and is the debut feature of renowned photographer and journalist Roger Sargent.
You may also want to watch:
Other guests at the premiere included Carl’s girlfriend Edie Langley, former Sex Pistol Glen Matlock and Drew McConnell from band Babyshambles.
Other films and events in the festival include an alternative Royal Wedding party tomorrow at The Water Poet pub in Folgate Street, a series of documentaries about East End lives and screenings of classic films such as Taxi Driver and The Devils.
- 1 'Grenfell Tower'-type cladding still not removed from New Providence Wharf after 3 years
- 2 Cops break Covid-19 rules to have haircuts at Bethnal Green police station
- 3 Whitechapel murder victim named as teenager charged with killing
- 4 Murder arrest after woman stabbed to death in Whitechapel this morning
- 5 Covid hero who did charity walk in Bow aged 100 now has vaccine
- 6 Leyton Orient boss Embleton could rotate team for Bolton trip
- 7 Man sentenced after teenage boy groomed on Snapchat to sell heroin
- 8 Police e-fit expert retiring after 15 years at Bethnal Green
- 9 'It must be urgently addressed': New research into BAME Covid impact
- 10 Lovely Day for Aldgate School picked to sing on Billy Ocean's new single
For further information visit eastendfilmfestival.com.