Libertines members and fans flock to East End for world premiere of band doc
The world premiere of a documentary about indie band The Libertines opened the East End Film Festival last night and drew past band members and 1,600 people to the Troxy venue.
Carl Barat, Gary Powell and John Hassall from the cult band, which split in 2004, joined crowds for a first look at “The Libertines - There Are No Innocent Bystanders” at a packed screening in Commercial Road.
The only member who was conspicuous by his absence was Barat’s fellow frontman, Pete Doherty.
As the film festival, which runs until May 2, celebrates its tenth anniversary, the film proved a fitting choice for the opening night gala as it features a guided tour of the “Libertines East End” in which each band member was individually profiled.
The access-all-areas doc followed the band as they went on a reunion tour last year and is the debut feature of renowned photographer and journalist Roger Sargent.
You may also want to watch:
Other guests at the premiere included Carl’s girlfriend Edie Langley, former Sex Pistol Glen Matlock and Drew McConnell from band Babyshambles.
Other films and events in the festival include an alternative Royal Wedding party tomorrow at The Water Poet pub in Folgate Street, a series of documentaries about East End lives and screenings of classic films such as Taxi Driver and The Devils.
- 1 East London's 10 prettiest streets to visit
- 2 Police officer sacked after criminal conviction
- 3 Brigade issues fire safety warning after Limehouse studio blaze
- 4 Road and rail round-up: Steer clear of these disruptions next week
- 5 Man who stabbed teen at Crossharbour station found guilty of murder
- 6 Man in 30s dies after Isle of Dogs stabbing
- 7 Three places to go pumpkin picking near east London
- 8 Khalid Ali couldn't hide delight after winning start against Dean Wilkinson
- 9 Police patrols to increase after fatal Isle of Dogs stabbing
- 10 Concern growing for man last seen at Bow Road station
For further information visit eastendfilmfestival.com.