Libertines members and fans flock to East End for world premiere of band doc
The world premiere of a documentary about indie band The Libertines opened the East End Film Festival last night and drew past band members and 1,600 people to the Troxy venue.
Carl Barat, Gary Powell and John Hassall from the cult band, which split in 2004, joined crowds for a first look at “The Libertines - There Are No Innocent Bystanders” at a packed screening in Commercial Road.
The only member who was conspicuous by his absence was Barat’s fellow frontman, Pete Doherty.
As the film festival, which runs until May 2, celebrates its tenth anniversary, the film proved a fitting choice for the opening night gala as it features a guided tour of the “Libertines East End” in which each band member was individually profiled.
The access-all-areas doc followed the band as they went on a reunion tour last year and is the debut feature of renowned photographer and journalist Roger Sargent.
Other guests at the premiere included Carl’s girlfriend Edie Langley, former Sex Pistol Glen Matlock and Drew McConnell from band Babyshambles.
Other films and events in the festival include an alternative Royal Wedding party tomorrow at The Water Poet pub in Folgate Street, a series of documentaries about East End lives and screenings of classic films such as Taxi Driver and The Devils.
- 1 ‘It is not tolerated’: CCTV images released after West Ham game disorder
- 2 Olympian burglary: Men with links to Plaistow and Isle of Dogs wanted
- 3 Bow man charged after Dagenham stabbing given court date
- 4 Convicted: Met special constable who assaulted man in custody
- 5 Reports of man 'carrying metal pole' in Isle of Dogs
- 6 Wanted: Man known to commit offences on train and tube network
- 7 2021: London teenage homicides reach highest level since records began
- 8 Teenager 'punched, kicked' by three men at DLR station
- 9 Guilty: East London criminals jailed in December 2021
- 10 XR activists cleared over storming Shadwell station in climate change protest
For further information visit eastendfilmfestival.com.