Life skills offered to disabeld youngsters in Tower Hamlets
YOUNG disabled people are getting the chance the chance to make new friends, have fun and build their confidence in a scheme which is designed to help them develop life skills. The charity Whizz-Kidz is launching the Skillz for Life programme, featuring
YOUNG disabled people are getting the chance the chance to make new friends, have fun and build their confidence in a scheme which is designed to help them develop life skills.
The charity Whizz-Kidz is launching the Skillz for Life programme, featuring sessions involving teamwork, games and multimedia learning, for disabled people aged between 13 and 18 with clubs running from January to April in Tower Hamlets.
The charity has developed the course following a survey of the young people it works with in 2008, which found that 27 per cent were not being given the skills to get job by a school or college and 29 per cent were not being taught life skills that would prepare them for adulthood.
Boss Ruth Owen said: "Whizz-Kidz found that 48 per cent of our beneficiaries felt they didn't currently have the skills or training to become an independent adult.
You may also want to watch:
"We believe that every child deserves the opportunity to fulfil their potential, and Skillz for Life is another tool supporting us to achieve this.
- 1 Poplar MP acquitted of Tower Hamlets housing fraud
- 2 'Vexatious charges': MP turns on accusers after acquittal in fraud trial
- 3 East London travel disruption round-up for the week ahead
- 4 Mum plans to use Raine's Foundation site for new East Park church school
- 5 Home Office pours £1m into tackling drug-related problems in East End
- 6 Apsana Begum's ex-husband may be behind housing bids, trial hears
- 7 Jury sent home for the day in MP Apsana Begum's trial on housing fraud charges
- 8 Unlocked rooms created 'radiation exposure risk' at hospital, inspectors report
- 9 MP reported ex-husband to police for alleged 'harassment', trial hears
- 10 Leyton Orient still looking to add one or two new signings