Lifestyle: Comics versus poets, it’s a war of words
- Credit: Archant
Comedy takes on poetry in Shoreditch as the spoken word genre comes together for a Halloween special.
Stand Up and Slam at the Comedy Cafe Theatre sees six acts from the worlds of comedy and poetry go head-to-head in three rounds of stand-up versus performance poetry.
It is taking place at the theatre in Rivington Street tomorrow (Thursday).
Hosted by team captains comedian Paul Sweeney and guest poet Adam Kammerling, the show is full of top-class performers presenting special prepared material, onstage ad-libbed battles and topped off with tongue in cheek banter.
At the end of the night, the audience has the final say who wins.
You may also want to watch:
On the comedy team alongside Sweeney is Eric Lampaert, named T4’s Rising Star 2012, and Dr George Ryegold, seen on E4’s Celebrity Bedlam.
For the poetry team, Richard Purnell, whose work has been published in The Herald and The Londonist, and Deanna Rodger, the youngest ever Poetry Slam UK champion, will aim to help Kammerling defeat the opposition.
- 1 Teenager found dead in Victoria Park
- 2 Driver arrested after police 'drugs patrol' stops car in Whitechapel
- 3 Two in five people in Tower Hamlets may have had Covid-19
- 4 'I can save the planet with my seaweed' scientist in east London claims
- 5 Drug and alcohol abuse by Tower Hamlets parents and children soars
- 6 Disgraceful management of the pandemic
- 7 'Laptop bonanza' for schoolchildren in Poplar to help survive lockdown gloom
- 8 Post deliveries in east London hit by Covid crisis among Royal Mail staff
- 9 That's so raven: Everything you need to know about the guardians of the Tower
- 10 Pressure on government to provide laptops for lockdown learning
Being Halloween, there will be a special trick or treat forfeit for the losing captain.
The concept, which was created by Canterbury’s poet laureate Dan Simpson, has seen three successful shows in partnership with Chatback Comedy Club and this one promises to be even better.
Doors open at 7.30pm with the show starting at 8pm.
For more information visit www.standupandslam.com.