Lobby damaged in Poplar flat fire
- Credit: sub
Residents were trapped in their homes when a fire broke out in a block of flats in Poplar yesterday.
Four fire engines were called to Coldharbour at 3.44pm to a blaze on the first floor.
Firefighters told the block’s occupants to remain in their flats while they battled the fire, which damaged the entire first floor lobby.
Crews from Poplar, Bethnal Green, Whitechapel and Millwall stations managed to get it under control by 4.27pm, but the cause is not yet known.
A London Fire Brigade spokesman said: “If there is a fire elsewhere in the building but not inside your home you’re usually safer staying in your flat unless heat or smoke is affecting you.
You may also want to watch:
“If you leave your flat you could be rushing into choking smoke, the fire itself or firefighters using equipment to bring the fire under control in another part of the building.”
- 1 Murder arrest after woman stabbed to death in Whitechapel this morning
- 2 Fury as family homes vanish when Isle of Dogs landlord converts to bedsits
- 3 Man sentenced after teenage boy groomed on Snapchat to sell heroin
- 4 Two men arrested after police officers assaulted in Limehouse rave
- 5 Leyton Orient announce partnership with Hartford Athletic
- 6 Police hunt after stabbing in Cable Street: One man hurt
- 7 Covid vaccination hub opening in Westfield next week
- 9 Teenager found dead in Victoria Park
- 10 Ethnic communities not taking up Covid jabs, Tower Hamlets Mayor warns