Lobby damaged in Poplar flat fire
- Credit: sub
Residents were trapped in their homes when a fire broke out in a block of flats in Poplar yesterday.
Four fire engines were called to Coldharbour at 3.44pm to a blaze on the first floor.
Firefighters told the block’s occupants to remain in their flats while they battled the fire, which damaged the entire first floor lobby.
Crews from Poplar, Bethnal Green, Whitechapel and Millwall stations managed to get it under control by 4.27pm, but the cause is not yet known.
A London Fire Brigade spokesman said: “If there is a fire elsewhere in the building but not inside your home you’re usually safer staying in your flat unless heat or smoke is affecting you.
You may also want to watch:
“If you leave your flat you could be rushing into choking smoke, the fire itself or firefighters using equipment to bring the fire under control in another part of the building.”
- 1 Driver, 18, wanted for driving wrong way through Blackwall Tunnel
- 2 Building new tower block starts on Limehouse Triangle 'wildlife site'
- 3 Study asks: why are canals and rivers a watery lifeline during pandemic?
- 4 Mapped: Possession of weapons across east London
- 5 Luxury Canary Wharf flats going for lower rent set by the council
- 6 Report reveals scale of support offered by council during Covid crisis
- 7 Isle of Dogs man who murdered teenager at Crossharbour DLR sentenced to 27 years
- 8 14 charged with alleged drug dealing and money laundering offences
- 9 Man charged after triple stabbing on night bus in Mile End
- 10 Fines totalling £361k handed to East End landlords and agents