£1.5m revamp for leisure centres under way by Tower Hamlets Council
- Credit: Google
Work has started on major improvements to leisure centres in London’s East End for the New Year with £1.5 million from Tower Hamlets Council.
The funding has partly come from the 15-year management contract the council awarded Greenwich Leisure in 2004 which has been extended for another three years.
Improvements will include Increased studio space and a new fitness area being created at Wapping’s John Orwell centre, while a new ‘soft play’ area, spin studio and other refurbishment is being provided at the Mile End Park centre.
St George’s gym in Shadwell is having improvements while Millwall’s Tiller centre is getting upgrades to the gym, changing rooms, studio and ‘soft play’ facilities.
New weights area and gym improvements are being installed at Whitechapel sports centre and improvements are being made at Bethnal Green’s York Hall in the changing rooms, reception area, gym and studio.
You may also want to watch:
All the are expected to be completed by April.
- 1 Man killed after fall from Bow tower block
- 2 Why some families can't leave Bow's 'dangerous structure' tower block
- 3 14 charged with alleged drug dealing and money laundering offences
- 4 Two hospitalised as 60 firefighters tackle blaze in Stratford
- 5 Panel finds gross misconduct proven against Pc arrested on suspicion of drug dealing
- 6 19 arrested and cash seized in East End dawn drug raids
- 7 Revealed: The most popular baby names in your area in 2020
- 8 Trees planted to remember people who died of Covid in the East End
- 9 O's will need a much improved display against leaders Forest Green
- 10 Fast food! Lewis Hamilton-backed chain opening east London branches