£1.5m revamp for leisure centres under way by Tower Hamlets Council
- Credit: Google
Work has started on major improvements to leisure centres in London’s East End for the New Year with £1.5 million from Tower Hamlets Council.
The funding has partly come from the 15-year management contract the council awarded Greenwich Leisure in 2004 which has been extended for another three years.
Improvements will include Increased studio space and a new fitness area being created at Wapping’s John Orwell centre, while a new ‘soft play’ area, spin studio and other refurbishment is being provided at the Mile End Park centre.
St George’s gym in Shadwell is having improvements while Millwall’s Tiller centre is getting upgrades to the gym, changing rooms, studio and ‘soft play’ facilities.
New weights area and gym improvements are being installed at Whitechapel sports centre and improvements are being made at Bethnal Green’s York Hall in the changing rooms, reception area, gym and studio.
You may also want to watch:
All the are expected to be completed by April.
- 1 Fury as family homes vanish when Isle of Dogs landlord converts to bedsits
- 2 Man sentenced after teenage boy groomed on Snapchat to sell heroin
- 3 Two men arrested after police officers assaulted in Limehouse rave
- 4 'Racist consultation' protest rejected on Tower Hamlets street closures as Labour sticks to its manifesto
- 5 Police hunt after stabbing in Cable Street: One man hurt
- 6 Death of woman, 75, in Mile End fire could have been avoided
- 7 Airbnb house party violence leaves police officer with broken finger
- 8 Covid vaccination hub opening in Westfield next week
- 9 Ethnic communities not taking up Covid jabs, Tower Hamlets Mayor warns
- 10 Council fined for Alexia Walenkaki's playground death in Mile End and says sorry to family