£1.5m revamp for leisure centres under way by Tower Hamlets Council
- Credit: Google
Work has started on major improvements to leisure centres in London’s East End for the New Year with £1.5 million from Tower Hamlets Council.
The funding has partly come from the 15-year management contract the council awarded Greenwich Leisure in 2004 which has been extended for another three years.
Improvements will include Increased studio space and a new fitness area being created at Wapping’s John Orwell centre, while a new ‘soft play’ area, spin studio and other refurbishment is being provided at the Mile End Park centre.
St George’s gym in Shadwell is having improvements while Millwall’s Tiller centre is getting upgrades to the gym, changing rooms, studio and ‘soft play’ facilities.
New weights area and gym improvements are being installed at Whitechapel sports centre and improvements are being made at Bethnal Green’s York Hall in the changing rooms, reception area, gym and studio.
You may also want to watch:
All the are expected to be completed by April.
- 1 Jailed: Teenagers who left victim blind in one eye after train stabbing
- 2 Patient group set up over allegations of 'poor care' at Royal London
- 3 Canary Wharf floats idea for new green restaurant on water
- 4 Brick Lane's famous bagel shop launches delivery service
- 5 New street market coming to Docklands is Will's passion
- 6 Updated appeal for information about man last seen in Poplar in January
- 7 MPs pledge to fight on for 'forgotten victims' of IRA Canary Wharf bombing
- 8 Fire crews fight blaze at pub in Hackney Wick
- 9 Jailed: drug dealer who rammed police with stolen car to escape
- 10 Beer gardens reopening with face masks, sanitisers and cobblestones