£1.5m revamp for leisure centres under way by Tower Hamlets Council
- Credit: Google
Work has started on major improvements to leisure centres in London’s East End for the New Year with £1.5 million from Tower Hamlets Council.
The funding has partly come from the 15-year management contract the council awarded Greenwich Leisure in 2004 which has been extended for another three years.
Improvements will include Increased studio space and a new fitness area being created at Wapping’s John Orwell centre, while a new ‘soft play’ area, spin studio and other refurbishment is being provided at the Mile End Park centre.
St George’s gym in Shadwell is having improvements while Millwall’s Tiller centre is getting upgrades to the gym, changing rooms, studio and ‘soft play’ facilities.
New weights area and gym improvements are being installed at Whitechapel sports centre and improvements are being made at Bethnal Green’s York Hall in the changing rooms, reception area, gym and studio.
You may also want to watch:
All the are expected to be completed by April.
- 1 Poplar MP tells court: 'I fled home when brother said I was possessed'
- 2 Leyton Orient boss Jackett full of praise for Sotiriou after Magpies win
- 3 Community patrols to stamp out Poplar's street crime
- 4 Ice cream parlour with 'no added sugar' to open in Canary Wharf
- 5 John McDonnell is character witness for Poplar MP accused of housing fraud
- 6 Fire Brigade deluged with calls for help as floods sweep east London
- 7 Flooding causes road and rail disruption across east London
- 8 Driver demo blocks Uber's Whitechapel HQ in termination appeals dispute
- 9 Nine Tower Hamlets secondary schools rated outstanding by Ofsted
- 10 Man arrested following triple stabbing in Isle of Dogs