�2.3million fund will benefit Tower Hamlets voluntary groups
Voluntary groups that help the unemployed in Tower Hamlets into work have until next Wednesday to apply to a �2.3million council fund, the largest of its kind in London.
The Community Grants programme will give grants of between �5,000 and �12,500 per project to community organisations helping disadvantaged people gain a job.
Co-funded by London Councils and the European Social Fund, it is helping four other London boroughs (Croydon, Enfield, Lambeth and Southwark) but Tower Hamlets has been awarded by far the largest fund.
The next highest - �108,000 - was awarded to Enfield.
Projects must aim to help people improve their job skills, access training and move closer to the job market.
You may also want to watch:
Tower Hamlets mayor Lutfur Rahman said: “Tower Hamlets has an improving economy but challenges still remain - not least the number of people in the borough who are out of work.
“I want to harness the localised knowledge of the voluntary sector to build on what the council is already doing to help people into work.
- 1 Patient group set up over allegations of 'poor care' at Royal London
- 2 Leyton Orient boss McAnuff explains the reasoning for dropping Jamie Turley to the bench
- 3 Fire crews fight blaze at pub in Hackney Wick
- 4 Mother and son taken to hospital during "severe" fire in Bow
- 5 Canary Wharf floats idea for new green restaurant on water
- 6 Volunteers take food for Ramadan to neighbours on Isle of Dogs
- 7 Former Bagel Factory turned into creative studios to rent out
- 8 London elections 2021: City and East candidates make case for your vote
- 9 It was a big opportunity missed for Leyton Orient says boss Jobi McAnuff
- 10 Fundraiser launched after school families suffer 'so many Covid deaths'
“Many people do not fit into mainstream work programmes and the smaller voluntary and community organisations can be best placed to provide initial support.”
A workshop to help organisations understand the application process will be held at Tower Hamlets Town Hall tomorrow (November 9) between 10am and 12.30pm.
To find out more and to book a place on the workshop contact the London Voluntary Sector Training consortium (LVSTC) on 020 7538 4309 or email@example.com.
The deadline for applications is midday next Wednesday.