�2.3million fund will benefit Tower Hamlets voluntary groups
Voluntary groups that help the unemployed in Tower Hamlets into work have until next Wednesday to apply to a �2.3million council fund, the largest of its kind in London.
The Community Grants programme will give grants of between �5,000 and �12,500 per project to community organisations helping disadvantaged people gain a job.
Co-funded by London Councils and the European Social Fund, it is helping four other London boroughs (Croydon, Enfield, Lambeth and Southwark) but Tower Hamlets has been awarded by far the largest fund.
The next highest - �108,000 - was awarded to Enfield.
Projects must aim to help people improve their job skills, access training and move closer to the job market.
You may also want to watch:
Tower Hamlets mayor Lutfur Rahman said: “Tower Hamlets has an improving economy but challenges still remain - not least the number of people in the borough who are out of work.
“I want to harness the localised knowledge of the voluntary sector to build on what the council is already doing to help people into work.
- 1 Teenager found dead in Victoria Park
- 2 Driver arrested after police 'drugs patrol' stops car in Whitechapel
- 3 Two in five people in Tower Hamlets may have had Covid-19
- 4 Students in rent strike over Queen Mary's campus staying open during Covid emergency
- 5 'Laptop bonanza' for schoolchildren in Poplar to help survive lockdown gloom
- 6 Leyton Orient sign Dan Kemp on a permanent deal from West Ham United
- 7 Drug and alcohol abuse by Tower Hamlets parents and children soars
- 8 That's so raven: Everything you need to know about the guardians of the Tower
- 9 Post deliveries in east London hit by Covid crisis among Royal Mail staff
- 10 Gun seized after woman tells police she was threatened in Whitechapel
“Many people do not fit into mainstream work programmes and the smaller voluntary and community organisations can be best placed to provide initial support.”
A workshop to help organisations understand the application process will be held at Tower Hamlets Town Hall tomorrow (November 9) between 10am and 12.30pm.
To find out more and to book a place on the workshop contact the London Voluntary Sector Training consortium (LVSTC) on 020 7538 4309 or email@example.com.
The deadline for applications is midday next Wednesday.