20 tonnes of salt used so far by Tower Hamlets Council to keep side streets clear
- Credit: LBTH
Council staff from Tower Hamlets have been out all day putting 20 tonnes of salt on the streets to keep side roads and some main roads open during the snow.
They have been using 220 tonnes of grit all over the East End since Sunday, with another 2,000 tonnes being issued ready for further need.
Around 110 council workers including beat sweepers, staff in cage vehicles and the council’s two gritters are continuing to salt the 133 streets and 50 miles of roads it’s responsible for. These include most side streets and some main roads, but not major truck routes like the A11, A12 and A13 which are TfL’s responsibility.
Four community facilities have had to be closed because of the weather—Whitechapel’s Brady centre, the Stepney Green Astroturf and nearby Whitehorse adventure playground and the Mile End play park. Decisions on reopening will be made next week. But most leisure centres and parks were open today.
Daily bin collections have been continuing, with around 80 per cent of the refuse fleet attempting to continue waste and recycling rounds when access allows.
You may also want to watch:
Street gritting on pavements is also being continued with some staff clearing litter from roads and pavements when possible and emptying litter bins.
Street cleaners are operating overnight unless the weather is particularly cold like today, when they work during the day. Extra vehicles are being used with grit on board to cover more pavements and walkways.
- 1 Man who stabbed teen at Crossharbour station found guilty of murder
- 2 Man in 30s dies after Isle of Dogs stabbing
- 3 Police patrols to increase after fatal Isle of Dogs stabbing
- 4 Police officer sacked after criminal conviction
- 5 Concern growing for man last seen at Bow Road station
- 6 Authorities urged to act against 'terrifying' Isle of Dogs car races
- 7 Sentencing of arms dealers set for one year after Isle of Dogs raid
- 8 'That is what this club is about' as Mark Noble wants to find West Ham fan
- 9 Man found with stab injuries in Stepney
- 10 Two men arrested in connection with Shadwell double stabbing