�56m of cuts passed by Tower Hamlets Council
The �56 million of cuts for the coming year have finally been given the green light as Tower Hamlets braces itself for the most drastic downsizing of services it has ever faced.
Mayor Lutfur Rahman stood firm on his plans for policing, council freesheet East End Life and youth services as he got his budget passed in the town hall last night.
The Labour party failed in its bid to replace Tower Hamlets Enforcement Officers (THEOs), who have limited powers, with 17 police officers.
They also failed to force East End Life to be shrunk down to a quarterly publication to save �200,000.
The Labour amendment, which needed two thirds of the vote to be passed, attracted only 22 votes, with 18 councillors backing Mr Rahman and eight abstaining.
You may also want to watch:
Speaking after the budget was passed Mr Rahman said: “The people of Tower Hamlets will be pleased.”
In stark contrast to the loud and impassioned scenes of previous meetings, the public gallery barely piped up.
- 1 Transfer round-up: Leyton Orient bring in eight as departures find new clubs
- 2 Midfielder Ouss Cisse confirms Leyton Orient departure
- 3 Man stabbed outside West India Quay DLR station
- 4 Data reveals house price rises in Olympic boroughs since London 2012
- 5 Police chief to be quizzed at East London Mosque
- 6 Campaigners taking on town hall to keep Isle of Dogs youth club open
- 7 Somali kitchen in Bethnal Green gets halal help from Amazon staff
- 8 Leyton Orient could be without key forwards for season opener at Salford
- 9 Tokyo 2020: Poplar children have their own 'Olympics'
- 10 Guilty: Who was jailed across east London in July?
Accusations of threatening behaviour and homophobic remarks in the last meeting resulted in council chiefs allowing just 50 East Enders into the chamber.
Several councillors said they were saddened that the meeting was not open to more people.
In reference to past scenes, Mr Rahman said: “Such behaviour has no place in the chamber or any other place in a civilised society.”