Acrimonious Tower Hamlets Council meeting filmed for first time
Squabbling councillors in Tower Hamlets town hall were caught on camera for the first time this week.
The acrimonious full council meeting was filmed yesterday evening, with cross-party support for the step.
And councillors admitted that the public may not like what they see when the films are put online.
Labour group leader Cllr Sirajul Islam admitted: “At times exchanges in this chamber can be less than the public expect of us.”
Rowdy members of the Independent cabinet also backed the plan, with Cllr Oliur Rahman saying: “People will be able to sit in the comfort of their sofa and watch how Labour and Tory councillors are failing.”
You may also want to watch:
Speaker Cllr Lesley Pavitt said a professional company was filming Wednesday’s meeting, with footage to be published on the council’s website.
“If this is successful I will be working with officers and group leaders on agreeing a protocol for filming,” she added.
- 1 Tribute to 7th Barts Health Trust worker to die of Covid-19
- 2 Airbnb house party violence leaves police officer with broken finger
- 3 Teenager found dead in Victoria Park
- 4 Drug and alcohol abuse by Tower Hamlets parents and children soars
- 5 Driver arrested after police 'drugs patrol' stops car in Whitechapel
- 6 'We need laptops for lockdown children to learn from home’ Tower Hamlets mayor urges
- 7 Disgraceful management of the pandemic
- 8 Two in five people in Tower Hamlets may have had Covid-19
- 9 Have you seen this 52-year-old man missing from Ilford?
Members of the public remained unable to record the meeting.
At the time of writing the council were yet to release the video.