Apprentices open day planned at Poplar by Tower Hamlets Council to recruit for TfL
- Credit: TfL
An open day to recruit apprentices to work in public transport is being held in Poplar “to tap into east London’s economic growth”.
It is being organised by Tower Hamlets Council at the end of the month with TfL when recruitment teams making presentations on apprenticeships being created this year.
It follows plans by the council to press businesses and industry in the East End to create 1,000 places.
“TfL is looking to find its next generation of apprentices,” Tower Hamlets Mayor John Biggs explained.
“This will help anyone considering a career change or looking for a job to tap into the benefits of east London’s economic growth.”
You may also want to watch:
Those already in apprenticeships will also be on hand at the open day to answer questions on the application process and on their experience so far.
Most visible TfL staff are at stations and on trains and buses. But there is a large workforce behind the scenes keeping services running 24 hours a day, seven days a week.
- 1 Jailed: drug dealer who rammed police with stolen car to escape
- 2 East End pays tribute to Prince Philip
- 3 Housing protest at Shadwell's Watney Market over service charges hike
- 4 Boxpark reopening in Shoreditch with face masks and Covid hygiene measures
- 5 Jailed: Smash-and-grab perfume raiders get 18 years between them
- 6 Woman from Limehouse charged after Kill the Bill protest
- 7 'Torrent of hate' stalker tweeted pictures of victim on social media
- 8 Fire crews fight blaze in railway arch in Bow
- 9 Pictures: Remembering Prince Philip's visits to east London
- 10 New street market coming to Docklands is Will's passion
TfL is looking for people to fill specialist roles such as engineering, signalling, IT, cyber security, finance, procurement, planning, quantity surveying, human resources and project management.
Applicants don’t need experience, but are expected to have five GCSEs including maths and English. They earn the London living wage while getting qualifications on the job.
The recruitment open day on January 31 is at the council’s WorkPath employment and training service at 55 Upper Bank Street in Poplar, 3-7pm, near Poplar DLR. Places can be booked by calling 020-7364 0626 or emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.