Berkley Homes plan to open South Quay Plaza waterfront by Canary Wharf
A major investment and transformation is planned near Canary Wharf which would open the waterfront at South Quays Plaza to the public.
Two more public exhibitions are planned following last week’s display at the start of public consultations.
Berkeley Homes has unveiled proposals for new homes, shops and a revamped South Quays office tower at the Isle of Dogs, next to the Millwall Docks water edge, opposite the Pan Peninsula development.
The site currently has low-level retail and some office properties, but is listed for residential development in Tower Hamlets council’s Core Strategy plan.
“South Quay Plaza is a challenging site that presents opportunities to open up the waterfront to the public,” said Berkeley Homes’ Harry Lewis.
You may also want to watch:
“We are keen to talk to the community about open space and the waterfront. Our plans also include much-needed housing and keeping jobs on the site.”
The existing office block is to be refurbished, while the rest of South Quays will have mixed use, but mainly residential, with retail and commercial opportunities on the ground floor.
- 1 Murder arrest after woman stabbed to death in Whitechapel this morning
- 2 Fury as family homes vanish when Isle of Dogs landlord converts to bedsits
- 3 Man sentenced after teenage boy groomed on Snapchat to sell heroin
- 4 Two men arrested after police officers assaulted in Limehouse rave
- 5 Leyton Orient announce partnership with Hartford Athletic
- 6 Covid vaccination hub opening in Westfield next week
- 7 Police hunt after stabbing in Cable Street: One man hurt
- 8 Teenager found dead in Victoria Park
- 9 Ethnic communities not taking up Covid jabs, Tower Hamlets Mayor warns
- 10 Lovely Day for Aldgate School picked to sing on Billy Ocean's new single
More than 70 residents attended the first exhibition. Another is planned at the Lantern Arts studios in nearby Millharbour in July and a third just before the plans are submitted to Tower Hamlets Council later this year.