Assembly member peddles pro-cycling 'on your bike' message to east London
- Credit: Hadley Group
London Assembly's Unmesh Desai has urged people in the East End to “get on your bike” in his campaign to help reduce car traffic.
He looked in at a bike fair at Blackwall Yard where a cycle-hire dock has been installed as part of a developer's planning application for a housing scheme at the Thames waterfront site opposite the O2.
The fair attracted 35 people, all spaced out for Covid-19 social distancing.
Mr Desai, who represents City and East at City Hall, tried his hand – and foot — at peddling a bike adapted to blend cool smoothie drinks.
“People of all ages are getting involved,” he said. “Installing the bike-hire dock ahead of planning will contribute to sustainable travel and get more people cycling.”
You may also want to watch:
The fair, staged by Hadley property group with Bethnal Green’s Bikeworks social enterprise and Brompton bike-hire, gave cycle training to beginners and safety maintenance tips for those who brought along their own bikes.
The scheme for 900 new homes at Blackwall Yard was sent as a planning application to Tower Hamlets Council last December.
- 1 Two men arrested in connection with Shadwell double stabbing
- 2 Sentencing of arms dealers set for one year after Isle of Dogs raid
- 3 Man found with stab injuries in Stepney
- 4 Teenager suffers 'life-changing' injuries after alleged attack in Shadwell
- 5 Jailed: Robbers who targeted OAPs at east London cashpoints
- 6 Jailed: Tower Hamlets man who tried to rape another man
- 7 Man who died in Mile End park named
- 8 Leyton Orient seal first away win of the season at Bristol Rovers
- 9 Travel round-up: Road and rail disruptions this week
- 10 Joe Gallen full of praise for O's forwards in Bristol Rovers victory