Boris Johnson reminds London’s teens to stay safe on roads once the clocks go forward
Boris Johnson reminded London’s teens to take care around the capital’s roads yesterday ahead of the clocks going forward this weekend.
The start of British Summer Time will initially cause darker mornings meaning many teens will travel to school in the dark with road collisions involving teenagers most typically occuring on weekdays at peak travelling times.
As part of a Transport for London campaign, rapper Wretch 32 and Being Human actors Lenora Crichlow and Russell Tovey have also created short Youtube videos to reinforce the message of staying safe near roads.
The Mayor of London said: “We want youngsters to remember to take care and keep an eye out for their friends as they travel around the city. “Deaths of youngsters on London’s roads are falling but we will continue to do everything in our power to help drive down needless accidents.”
Ben Plowden, TfL’s director of better routes and places, said: “I urge all teenagers to make sure that they are visible on the roads, particularly when they travel in the dark as that is when they are most vulnerable.”
You may also want to watch:
TfL reported that the number of teens killed on London’s roads has fallen by 23 per cent since 2000, but warned that people should not get complacent.
Posters marking their “Don’t let your friendship die on the road” campaign are now visible across the capital.
- 1 Jailed: Teenagers who left victim blind in one eye after train stabbing
- 2 New street market coming to Docklands is Will's passion
- 3 Patient group set up over allegations of 'poor care' at Royal London
- 4 Brick Lane's famous bagel shop launches delivery service
- 5 Canary Wharf floats idea for new green restaurant on water
- 6 Leyton Orient seal win over Barrow to move just one point off the play-offs
- 7 Leyton Orient boss McAnuff wants his side to impose themselves on Barrow
- 8 Voting in the Isle of Dogs Neighbourhood Planning Referendum
- 9 Updated appeal for information about man last seen in Poplar in January
- 10 Jailed: drug dealer who rammed police with stolen car to escape