‘Break-in’ at Tower Hamlets Council offices triggers security fears
- Credit: Archant
Claims of an attempted break-in to Tower Hamlets Council offices containing confidential documents have triggered a security review at the town hall.
An investigation was launched after the door of the Labour group’s office was found jammed following a break-in attempt.
The security breach is alleged to have taken place on the weekend of March 9 and 10 - just days after Independent Mayor Lutfur Rahman was defeated by opposition councillors in a crucial budget vote.
Outgoing Labour group leader Cllr Joshua Peck said similar incidents have occurred in the past.
“The council must take steps to protect councillors’ offices and make sure nobody has access who shouldn’t”, he added.
The first floor office in question is in an area only accessible to councillors and senior town hall staff. Labour said it contained private documents, including budget plans and constituent casework.
A council spokesperson confirmed an investigation had been completed, but said there was insufficient evidence to suggest a break-in.
- 1 Tower Hamlets neighbours must 'temporarily leave' and pay £85k for building repairs
- 2 Appeal: CCTV image released after mosque attacked with bottles
- 3 Police looking for missing man last seen leaving hospital
- 4 Maskless passengers on London trains and buses fined 4,000 times
- 5 Cardboard boxes causing delays in and around Hackney Wick
- 6 7 of the best Chinese restaurants with delivery in east London
- 7 Whitechapel dessert shop fined over £5,000 for dumping waste
- 8 Girl, 17, held on suspicion of terrorism offences after east London arrest
- 9 Explained: What the cost of living support package means for you
- 10 Every household in the UK to get £400 to help with rising energy bills
“We are currently considering options as to how security, in that particular part of the building, might be improved”, she added.