By-election date following resignation of Tower Hamlets councillor is revealed
- Credit: Kois Miah
The council has revealed a by-election will take place in February following the resignation of a Lansbury ward councillor.
Mohammad Harun stepped down last week after the town hall launched an investigation into housing fraud allegations.
The probe will look into three properties at Solander Gardens in Shadwell and Lancaster Avenue in Barking, which Harun is documented to own, and a social housing tenancy at Grundy Street in Poplar.
One allegation being looking into is that the Tower Hamlets Homes rented property in Grundy Street has been “illegally sub-let”, according to the council.
Mohammad Harun, who is a solicitor, denies the allegation and insists he will cooperate with the council investigation.
You may also want to watch:
A by-election to find his successor will take place on February 7.
The council will send out polling cards to all registered electors while those who are not registered are being urged to do so by January 22.
- 1 The Queen lends her name to Royal London’s emergency Covid wards
- 2 Police hunt after stabbing in Cable Street: One man hurt
- 3 No injuries but 20 rescued as firefighters tackle Limehouse blaze
- 4 Death of woman, 75, in Mile End fire could have been avoided
- 5 Police raid cannabis factory near Liverpool Street station: 2 arrests
- 6 Airbnb house party violence leaves police officer with broken finger
- 7 Doctors urge Tower Hamlets mayor to end support for Silvertown Tunnel
- 8 Teenager found dead in Victoria Park
- 9 Driver arrested after police 'drugs patrol' stops car in Whitechapel
- 10 Tribute to 7th Barts Health Trust worker to die of Covid-19
Chief executive and returning officer for Tower Hamlets, Will Tuckley, said: “We have robust processes in place to ensure our residents are free to cast their votes safely and securely and we work closely with the police and other partners to make sure candidates campaign in the spirit of free and fair democracy.”
To register to vote visit gov.uk/register-to-vote.