By-election date following resignation of Tower Hamlets councillor is revealed
- Credit: Kois Miah
The council has revealed a by-election will take place in February following the resignation of a Lansbury ward councillor.
Mohammad Harun stepped down last week after the town hall launched an investigation into housing fraud allegations.
The probe will look into three properties at Solander Gardens in Shadwell and Lancaster Avenue in Barking, which Harun is documented to own, and a social housing tenancy at Grundy Street in Poplar.
One allegation being looking into is that the Tower Hamlets Homes rented property in Grundy Street has been “illegally sub-let”, according to the council.
Mohammad Harun, who is a solicitor, denies the allegation and insists he will cooperate with the council investigation.
You may also want to watch:
A by-election to find his successor will take place on February 7.
The council will send out polling cards to all registered electors while those who are not registered are being urged to do so by January 22.
- 1 Poplar MP tells court: 'I fled home when brother said I was possessed'
- 2 Leyton Orient still looking to add one or two new signings
- 3 John McDonnell is character witness for Poplar MP accused of housing fraud
- 4 Leyton Orient boss Jackett full of praise for Sotiriou after Magpies win
- 5 Driver demo blocks Uber's Whitechapel HQ in termination appeals dispute
- 6 Community patrols to stamp out Poplar's street crime
- 7 Ice cream parlour with 'no added sugar' to open in Canary Wharf
- 8 Flooding causes road and rail disruption across east London
- 9 Youthful Orient side nab a draw away to Dulwich Hamlet
- 10 Nine Tower Hamlets secondary schools rated outstanding by Ofsted
Chief executive and returning officer for Tower Hamlets, Will Tuckley, said: “We have robust processes in place to ensure our residents are free to cast their votes safely and securely and we work closely with the police and other partners to make sure candidates campaign in the spirit of free and fair democracy.”
To register to vote visit gov.uk/register-to-vote.