By-election date following resignation of Tower Hamlets councillor is revealed
- Credit: Kois Miah
The council has revealed a by-election will take place in February following the resignation of a Lansbury ward councillor.
Mohammad Harun stepped down last week after the town hall launched an investigation into housing fraud allegations.
The probe will look into three properties at Solander Gardens in Shadwell and Lancaster Avenue in Barking, which Harun is documented to own, and a social housing tenancy at Grundy Street in Poplar.
One allegation being looking into is that the Tower Hamlets Homes rented property in Grundy Street has been “illegally sub-let”, according to the council.
Mohammad Harun, who is a solicitor, denies the allegation and insists he will cooperate with the council investigation.
You may also want to watch:
A by-election to find his successor will take place on February 7.
The council will send out polling cards to all registered electors while those who are not registered are being urged to do so by January 22.
- 1 Jailed: drug dealer who rammed police with stolen car to escape
- 2 East End pays tribute to Prince Philip
- 3 Housing protest at Shadwell's Watney Market over service charges hike
- 4 Boxpark reopening in Shoreditch with face masks and Covid hygiene measures
- 5 Woman from Limehouse charged after Kill the Bill protest
- 6 'Torrent of hate' stalker tweeted pictures of victim on social media
- 7 Fire crews fight blaze in railway arch in Bow
- 8 Jailed: Smash-and-grab perfume raiders get 18 years between them
- 9 Pictures: Remembering Prince Philip's visits to east London
- 10 New street market coming to Docklands is Will's passion
Chief executive and returning officer for Tower Hamlets, Will Tuckley, said: “We have robust processes in place to ensure our residents are free to cast their votes safely and securely and we work closely with the police and other partners to make sure candidates campaign in the spirit of free and fair democracy.”
To register to vote visit gov.uk/register-to-vote.