By-election date following resignation of Tower Hamlets councillor is revealed
- Credit: Kois Miah
The council has revealed a by-election will take place in February following the resignation of a Lansbury ward councillor.
Mohammad Harun stepped down last week after the town hall launched an investigation into housing fraud allegations.
The probe will look into three properties at Solander Gardens in Shadwell and Lancaster Avenue in Barking, which Harun is documented to own, and a social housing tenancy at Grundy Street in Poplar.
One allegation being looking into is that the Tower Hamlets Homes rented property in Grundy Street has been “illegally sub-let”, according to the council.
Mohammad Harun, who is a solicitor, denies the allegation and insists he will cooperate with the council investigation.
You may also want to watch:
A by-election to find his successor will take place on February 7.
The council will send out polling cards to all registered electors while those who are not registered are being urged to do so by January 22.
- 1 Isle of Dogs man who murdered teenager at Crossharbour DLR sentenced to 27 years
- 2 Man charged after triple stabbing on night bus in Mile End
- 3 19 arrested and cash seized in East End dawn drug raids
- 4 Man killed after fall from Bow tower block
- 5 Hundreds arrested after police crackdown on county lines
- 6 14 charged with alleged drug dealing and money laundering offences
- 7 Ruel Sotiriou has a big role to play for Leyton Orient says boss Jackett
- 8 Man found stabbed on board night bus
- 9 Kitchen blaze sees warning issued over 'strange noises' from appliances
- 10 'Ballet at its absolute best' coming to Canary Wharf this weekend
Chief executive and returning officer for Tower Hamlets, Will Tuckley, said: “We have robust processes in place to ensure our residents are free to cast their votes safely and securely and we work closely with the police and other partners to make sure candidates campaign in the spirit of free and fair democracy.”
To register to vote visit gov.uk/register-to-vote.