Child sex exploitation must be stamped out, demand councillors
A call for Tower Hamlets Council to back Barnardo’s campaign to protect children from sexual exploitation was made by councillors.
Labour members who backed the campaign at their last meeting urged the council to make sure children suffering sexual exploitation get specialist help.
The campaign calls on local authorities to set up monitoring systems to check for youngsters at risk and have a strategy for dealing with exploitation.
Cllr Bill Turner, Labour’s Spokesman for Children, said: “Sexual exploitation of children cannot be allowed to continue.
“We must do everything to make sure youngsters are protected. The measures Barnardo’s is calling for would be further protection to stamp out child sexual exploitation.”
You may also want to watch:
Two out of three local authorities have signed up to the campaign—but Tower Hamlets, which has the highest rates of child poverty in Britain, is not among them, councillors heard.
Unicef has warned that child poverty increases the risk of sexual exploitation.
- 1 Man stabbed outside West India Quay DLR station
- 2 Midfielder Ouss Cisse confirms Leyton Orient departure
- 3 Transfer round-up: Leyton Orient bring in eight as departures find new clubs
- 4 Data reveals house price rises in Olympic boroughs since London 2012
- 5 Campaigners taking on town hall to keep Isle of Dogs youth club open
- 6 Police chief to be quizzed at East London Mosque
- 7 Tyrese Omotoye impresses on O's trial as Ouss Cisse looks set to depart
- 8 Eggslut food truck to bring 'edible breakfast cloud' to Shoreditch
- 9 Guilty: Who was jailed across east London in July?
- 10 Somali kitchen in Bethnal Green gets halal help from Amazon staff