Councillor denies threatening to kill in row at Tower Hamlets council
The councillor arrested after allegations of threats to kill in a row with other Tower Hamlets councillors has denied making any kind of threat.
Labour’s Kosru Uddin was held in a police cell overnight after the confrontation with two women independent councillors at the end of a council meeting in London’s East End last Wednesday night.
He had been involved in the row with Cabinet member Rania Khan and her mother Lutfa who is also a councillor.
Rania Khan told the Advertiser later: “I was shaking by the incident. I just want to get over it now and get myself together.”
Cllr Uddin, 45, was arrested minutes later and held by police until the following day when he was released on bail, pending further investigation. He has to report back to police mid June to find out if any charges are being made against him.
But he later denied threatening. He issued a statement last night (Tues) saying: “I entirely reject the allegation that I made any kind of threat against her or anyone else after Wednesday night’s council meeting. I have made a statement to police and look forward to my name being cleared in due course.”
The council later confirmed that police interviewed councillors and the authority was “helping police with their enquiries as required.”
- 1 Covid-19: How the situation in Tower Hamlets compares to this time last year
- 2 Man masturbates on Central line train in front of two women
- 3 Collision causes traffic delays on A13 near Canning Town
- 4 Rooftop ice-rink opens at Tobacco Dock in Wapping
- 5 Trio accused of Bow Lock murder were 'associates' of victim 'Aqil' Mahdi
- 6 County lines drug dealer jailed
- 7 'Aggressive, violent behaviour' at Aldgate East tube station
- 8 Chance of snow in London this weekend
- 9 Port and pie pop-up coming to Shoreditch
- 10 Trust admits 'still more to do' despite diagnostic imaging improvements
Scotland Yard also confirmed that a 45-year-old man had been arrested at the Town Hall on suspicion of making threats to kill and had been released on bail.