Councillor resigns from shadow cabinet
A Labour councillor has resigned from Tower Hamlets shadow cabinet but maintains he does not want to lead the party himself.
Bow East councillor Marc Francis, who previously held the responsibility fro housing when Labour was in power waited until last week’s election defeat in Spitalfields and Banglatown before announcing his resignation.
He told the Advertiser his move did not signal a challenge to the leadership of Helal Abbas on his part and he was not planning to join Independent mayor Lutfur Rahman’s cabinet.
And he said the role as leader of the Labour opposition on Tower Hamlets council was “a difficult job”.
But he commented that Labour should not have suffered election defeat at the hands of Respect at last Thursday’s by-election.
You may also want to watch:
“Losing that seat was ridiculous.”
The turn out was very low, with just 16 per cent of the electorate voting with 553 votes for Labour and 666 for Respect.
- 1 Transfer round-up: Leyton Orient bring in eight as departures find new clubs
- 2 Police chief to be quizzed at East London Mosque
- 3 Leyton Orient boosted by potential returns of Smyth and Drinan for Salford trip
- 4 Man stabbed outside West India Quay DLR station
- 5 Midfielder Ouss Cisse confirms Leyton Orient departure
- 6 Budding east London cricketers invited to watch The Hundred
- 7 Legendary east London graffiti pub to reopen after 26 years
- 8 Somali kitchen in Bethnal Green gets halal help from Amazon staff
- 9 Things to do in east London this weekend (August 7-8)
- 10 Youngsters have put themselves in Jackett's plans at Orient says Pratley
It has been a Labour seat and the vacancy was created on the election of the ward councillor Lutfur Rahman as Tower Hamlets first directly elected mnayor. Mr Rahman became on Independent politician when the Labour party decided to de-select him as its candidate.
Labour leader Helal Abbas is also a councillor for the ward and in his letter cllr Francis said he had lost confidence in his leadership and could not continue to serve in the shadow cabinet.