Crossrail ‘master plan’ unveiled to boost Whitechapel
- Credit: THCouncil
Ambitious plans have been announced to revamp Whitechapel in London’s East End when the new Crossrail ‘super tube’ line opens in 2018.
The Whitechapel Vision project unveiled yesterday by Tower Hamlets council is the start of preparations for a ‘master plan’ of the neighbourhood.
“This project will help elevate Whitechapel,” claimed Mayor Lutfur Rahman. “The arrival of Crossrail means Whitechapel being better connected, bringing investment and showing what the East End has to offer.”
The award-winning BDP urban design practice is inviting the community over the coming months to share ideas for the area, to produce a cohesive plan that would influence town planning for decades.
This involves families, businesses, places of worship, housing agencies, landowners, the Royal London Hospital and Queen Mary’s College.
• Whitechapel Gallery, opened in 1901, international contemporary art
- 1 Cyclist in hospital after lorry collision in Whitechapel
- 2 Section 60 in place across Tower Hamlets after Stepney stabbing
- 3 Flats under construction in Hackney Wick to be knocked down and rebuilt
- 4 Cycle paths joined up in Aldgate creates 'safe route' through east London
- 5 Whitechapel nun pens book of 12 stories to inspire selflessness in society
- 6 'Lucky' escape: Family flees Bethnal Green fire thanks to fire alarms
- 7 Warnings issued after four fox clubs found stuck in old car wheels
- 8 Mile End: Car crashes into bus stop during police pursuit
- 9 'A horrific attack': Man suffers critical head injuries from Shoreditch fight
- 10 'Staffing crisis' means children's hospice cannot offer end of life care
• Whitechapel Bell Foundry, cast Big Ben and America’s Liberty Bell, oldest registered company in Britain, 16th century
• East London Mosque, regularly attracts 5,000 worshippers
• Whitechapel Market, known as ‘The Waste,’ part of £20m ‘High Street 2012’ Olympic legacy linking Aldgate to Stratford
• Royal London Hospital, established as Whitechapel Infirmary 250 years ago, now base for London’s air ambulance
• Whitechapel Idea Store, revolutionised public library and learning centre
• Queen Mary University, part of University of London, world-class research institution, especially medicine and law
• Jack the Ripper’s 1888 Whitechapel Murders