Crossrail ‘master plan’ unveiled to boost Whitechapel
- Credit: THCouncil
Ambitious plans have been announced to revamp Whitechapel in London’s East End when the new Crossrail ‘super tube’ line opens in 2018.
The Whitechapel Vision project unveiled yesterday by Tower Hamlets council is the start of preparations for a ‘master plan’ of the neighbourhood.
“This project will help elevate Whitechapel,” claimed Mayor Lutfur Rahman. “The arrival of Crossrail means Whitechapel being better connected, bringing investment and showing what the East End has to offer.”
The award-winning BDP urban design practice is inviting the community over the coming months to share ideas for the area, to produce a cohesive plan that would influence town planning for decades.
This involves families, businesses, places of worship, housing agencies, landowners, the Royal London Hospital and Queen Mary’s College.
You may also want to watch:
• Whitechapel Gallery, opened in 1901, international contemporary art
- 1 Driver, 18, wanted for driving wrong way through Blackwall Tunnel
- 2 Building new tower block starts on Limehouse Triangle 'wildlife site'
- 3 Luxury Canary Wharf flats going for lower rent set by the council
- 4 Study asks: why are canals and rivers a watery lifeline during pandemic?
- 5 Capacity at West Ham's London stadium to increase to 62,500
- 6 Mapped: Possession of weapons across east London
- 7 Isle of Dogs man who murdered teenager at Crossharbour DLR sentenced to 27 years
- 8 Report reveals scale of support offered by council during Covid crisis
- 9 14 charged with alleged drug dealing and money laundering offences
- 10 Fines totalling £361k handed to East End landlords and agents
• Whitechapel Bell Foundry, cast Big Ben and America’s Liberty Bell, oldest registered company in Britain, 16th century
• East London Mosque, regularly attracts 5,000 worshippers
• Whitechapel Market, known as ‘The Waste,’ part of £20m ‘High Street 2012’ Olympic legacy linking Aldgate to Stratford
• Royal London Hospital, established as Whitechapel Infirmary 250 years ago, now base for London’s air ambulance
• Whitechapel Idea Store, revolutionised public library and learning centre
• Queen Mary University, part of University of London, world-class research institution, especially medicine and law
• Jack the Ripper’s 1888 Whitechapel Murders