Crossrail ‘master plan’ unveiled to boost Whitechapel
- Credit: THCouncil
Ambitious plans have been announced to revamp Whitechapel in London’s East End when the new Crossrail ‘super tube’ line opens in 2018.
The Whitechapel Vision project unveiled yesterday by Tower Hamlets council is the start of preparations for a ‘master plan’ of the neighbourhood.
“This project will help elevate Whitechapel,” claimed Mayor Lutfur Rahman. “The arrival of Crossrail means Whitechapel being better connected, bringing investment and showing what the East End has to offer.”
The award-winning BDP urban design practice is inviting the community over the coming months to share ideas for the area, to produce a cohesive plan that would influence town planning for decades.
This involves families, businesses, places of worship, housing agencies, landowners, the Royal London Hospital and Queen Mary’s College.
You may also want to watch:
• Whitechapel Gallery, opened in 1901, international contemporary art
- 1 Fury as family homes vanish when Isle of Dogs landlord converts to bedsits
- 2 Man sentenced after teenage boy groomed on Snapchat to sell heroin
- 3 Two men arrested after police officers assaulted in Limehouse rave
- 4 Airbnb house party violence leaves police officer with broken finger
- 6 Police hunt after stabbing in Cable Street: One man hurt
- 7 Council fined for Alexia Walenkaki's playground death in Mile End and says sorry to family
- 8 Ethnic communities not taking up Covid jabs, Tower Hamlets Mayor warns
- 9 Teenager found dead in Victoria Park
- 10 NHS nurse assaulted at east London hospital
• Whitechapel Bell Foundry, cast Big Ben and America’s Liberty Bell, oldest registered company in Britain, 16th century
• East London Mosque, regularly attracts 5,000 worshippers
• Whitechapel Market, known as ‘The Waste,’ part of £20m ‘High Street 2012’ Olympic legacy linking Aldgate to Stratford
• Royal London Hospital, established as Whitechapel Infirmary 250 years ago, now base for London’s air ambulance
• Whitechapel Idea Store, revolutionised public library and learning centre
• Queen Mary University, part of University of London, world-class research institution, especially medicine and law
• Jack the Ripper’s 1888 Whitechapel Murders