Cyclist hurt in Hackney Road collision with lorry at ‘improved’ road junction
A cyclist was badly injured in a road traffic collision with a lorry in this-morning’s rush-hour in East London at crossroads that nearby residents say has been made dangerous by road ‘improvements.’
The 30-year-old man was taken to the Royal London Hospital with severe leg and pelvic injuries after the accident in Hackney road, Bethnal Green, outside the Days Inn Hotel.
Families on Bethnal Green’s Minerva Estate nearby are worried about safety where the road crosses Temple Street and Prichard’s Row and want Tower Hamlets council to take action.
“You drive through or try to cross the road at risk at all times of the day—but even more so in rush hour,” resident Fred Hunt told the East London Advertiser.
“They widened Prichard’s Row when the hotel opened two years ago. This is when the danger started, because they moved a pedestrian crossing further away—which means traffic coming onto Hackney Road from the side streets gets blocked and can’t go ahead or turn right.
You may also want to watch:
“As soon as drivers see gaps, they put their foot down and shoot across—you don’t see them and they don’t see you until the last second.”
The families say they have complained for several months. The Town Hall is looking into it.
- 1 Fury as family homes vanish when Isle of Dogs landlord converts to bedsits
- 2 Murder arrest after woman stabbed to death in Whitechapel this morning
- 3 Man sentenced after teenage boy groomed on Snapchat to sell heroin
- 4 Two men arrested after police officers assaulted in Limehouse rave
- 5 Airbnb house party violence leaves police officer with broken finger
- 6 Police hunt after stabbing in Cable Street: One man hurt
- 7 'Racist consultation' protest rejected on Tower Hamlets street closures as Labour sticks to its manifesto
- 8 Ethnic communities not taking up Covid jabs, Tower Hamlets Mayor warns
- 9 Teenager found dead in Victoria Park
- 10 Council fined for Alexia Walenkaki's playground death in Mile End and says sorry to family
Police cordoned off part of Hackney Road after today’s collision as crash investigators examined the scene. The cyclist is thought to be in a stable condition.