Diane Abbott joins Tessa Jowell and Sadiq Khan on Labour’s shortlist for London Mayor
- Credit: Archant
Labour party rank-and-file members in London’s East End have chosen Hackney MP Diane Abbott, who campaigned to end child obesity when she was Shadow Public Health Minister, as one of three shortlist candidates to run for Mayor of London next year.
A packed meeting of Bethnal Green & Bow constituency party members held last night at Bethnal Green’s St Margaret’s House centre selected her along with Sadiq Khan.
Neighbouring Poplar & Limehouse constituency party voted earlier in the week for Tessa Jowell and Sadiq Khan.
Abbott, 61, has been MP for Hackney North & Stoke Newington since 1987, when she became the first black woman to be elected to the Commons. She was appointed Shadow Public Health Minister in 2010, after her unsuccessful bid in the Parliamentary Labour leadership contest won by Ed Miliband.
She used the post to campaign against child obesity and met pupils and parents the following summer when Manorfield Primary school in Bromley-by-Bow signed up to an after-school health awareness programme.
You may also want to watch:
The MP is now on Labour’s shortlist to run for mayor of London next year, along with Tessa Jowell, Keran Kerai, Sadiq Khan, David Lammy, Neeraj Patil, Gareth Thomas and Christian Wolmar.
Each constituency party can nominate two names—one man, one women. Candidates need nominations from five of London’s 74 constituency Labour parties to make the shortlist.
- 1 Jury sent home for the day in MP Apsana Begum's trial on housing fraud charges
- 2 Jailed: Cyclist who rode off after fatal collision with 'gentleman', 72
- 3 Leyton Orient sign Theo Archibald on loan from Lincoln City
- 4 Highest point reached on new homes in disused Bethnal Green car park
- 5 Leyton Orient still looking to add one or two new signings
- 6 Unlocked rooms created 'radiation exposure risk' at hospital, inspectors report
- 7 Poplar MP tells court: 'I fled home when brother said I was possessed'
- 8 Home Office pours £1m into tackling drug-related problems in East End
- 9 Bidding for Harry Kane's signed jersey open in Wapping Youth FC auction
- 10 Community patrols to stamp out Poplar's street crime
Constituencies and affiliates have until Wednesday to put forward nominations. Party members vote on the shortlist in a Primary election after that.