Drug addict who dragged pensioner, 92, along ground in Hoxton robbery is facing jail
- Credit: MPS
A violent drug addict arrested in Bethnal Green two weeks after dragging a 92-year-old woman along the pavement during a robbery in broad daylight is facing jail.
Sanchez Edwards, 28, admitted the robbery when he appeared at Wood Green Crown court today.
The pensioner was arriving at a medical centre in Hoxton on June 27 when Edwards grabbed her handbag from behind with such force that she was dragged along the pavement for several feet, screaming in pain.
The recently-widowed woman suffered severe bruising and was left with cracked ribs and a limp.
Edwards, who has a history of illicit drug use, was a paranoid schizophrenic patient who had failed to return to psychiatric unit in Hackney from unescorted leave in May.
You may also want to watch:
He was arrested in Bethnal Green Gardens on July 10 after a police chase and has now been remanded in custody for sentence on October 10.
- 1 Sentencing of arms dealers set for one year after Isle of Dogs raid
- 2 Two men arrested in connection with Shadwell double stabbing
- 3 Man found with stab injuries in Stepney
- 4 Teenager suffers 'life-changing' injuries after alleged attack in Shadwell
- 5 Jailed: Robbers who targeted OAPs at east London cashpoints
- 6 Jailed: Tower Hamlets man who tried to rape another man
- 7 Man who died in Mile End park named
- 8 Leyton Orient seal first away win of the season at Bristol Rovers
- 9 Travel round-up: Road and rail disruptions this week
- 10 Joe Gallen full of praise for O's forwards in Bristol Rovers victory