Drug addict who dragged pensioner, 92, along ground in Hoxton robbery is facing jail
- Credit: MPS
A violent drug addict arrested in Bethnal Green two weeks after dragging a 92-year-old woman along the pavement during a robbery in broad daylight is facing jail.
Sanchez Edwards, 28, admitted the robbery when he appeared at Wood Green Crown court today.
The pensioner was arriving at a medical centre in Hoxton on June 27 when Edwards grabbed her handbag from behind with such force that she was dragged along the pavement for several feet, screaming in pain.
The recently-widowed woman suffered severe bruising and was left with cracked ribs and a limp.
Edwards, who has a history of illicit drug use, was a paranoid schizophrenic patient who had failed to return to psychiatric unit in Hackney from unescorted leave in May.
You may also want to watch:
He was arrested in Bethnal Green Gardens on July 10 after a police chase and has now been remanded in custody for sentence on October 10.
- 1 Murder arrest after woman stabbed to death in Whitechapel this morning
- 2 Fury as family homes vanish when Isle of Dogs landlord converts to bedsits
- 3 Man sentenced after teenage boy groomed on Snapchat to sell heroin
- 4 Two men arrested after police officers assaulted in Limehouse rave
- 5 Airbnb house party violence leaves police officer with broken finger
- 6 Police hunt after stabbing in Cable Street: One man hurt
- 8 Council fined for Alexia Walenkaki's playground death in Mile End and says sorry to family
- 9 Covid vaccination hub opening in Westfield next week
- 10 Ethnic communities not taking up Covid jabs, Tower Hamlets Mayor warns