East End’s new police chief being quizzed by public tonight
- Credit: Archant
The new police borough commander for London’s East End is being questioned by a neighhood board set up to make the Met’s local police chiefs more accountable like questioning sessions at City Hall.
Chief Superintendent Andy Ewing is in the hot seat at the first Question Time being held by Tower Hamlets Safer Neighbourhood Board.
Questions are being fired at the police chief by the public direct at Millwall’s Alpha Grove centre in Alpha Grove, on the Isle of Dogs.
“Residents get to hear how we are holding the police to account,” the board’s independent chair Fokrul Hoque said. “It’s an opportunity to put concerns to the most senior officers of the police and council on public safety issues.”
Also taking questions from the public is Tower Hamlets council’s Head of Community Safety, Andy Bamber.
You may also want to watch:
The Neighbourhood Board was set up last summer as part of the Mayor of London’s plans for boroughs to be more accountable with the community on crime and policing, on the lines of City Hall’s weekly Mayor’s Question Time.
Tonight’s meeting from 6.30pm is for residents to meet the Met Police, the London Mayor’s Office for Policing and Crime, local police ward panels made up of residents and neighbourhood police teams, Neighbourhood Watch and Town Hall chiefs.
- 1 Apsana Begum's ex-husband may be behind housing bids, trial hears
- 2 Nine Tower Hamlets secondary schools rated outstanding by Ofsted
- 3 MP reported ex-husband to police for alleged 'harassment', trial hears
- 4 Green light for £1m in levies to be used for East End fire rescue ladder
- 5 'Laughing gas central': Call for action on antisocial behaviour
- 6 Man arrested following triple stabbing in Isle of Dogs
- 7 Weather warning in place with east London set for thundery weekend
- 8 East London road and rail disruptions to travel this weekend
- 9 Poplar and Limehouse MP's trial on housing fraud charges set to start
- 10 Appeal after man allegedly 'spits at' woman travelling through Whitechapel, West Ham and Barking