Eddie Izzard joins Labour’s John Biggs campaign for Mayor of Tower Hamlets
- Credit: TH Labour Pty
Comedian Eddie Izzard was among those joining candidate for mayor John Biggs launching Labour’s manifesto for Tower Hamlets in London’s East End.
The TV star threw his weight behind the London Assembly’s budget chairman who challenges Lutfur Rahman for control of the town hall at the polls on May 22.
“We need a strong and fair leadership to bring communities together and unite the East End,” the comedian said. “That’s why I’m out campaigning and backing Biggs.”
Both East End MPs also joined the launch at St Margaret’s House community centre, Rushanara Ali and Jim Fitzpatrick, as well as Commons Shadow Leader Angela Eagle.
The manifesto calls for more accountable and transparent politics, which includes public meetings and the elected mayor being answerable in the council chamber. Opponents of the Rahman administration have been critical of the independent mayor’s refusal to answer questions at council meetings.
You may also want to watch:
John Biggs said: “I hate seeing Tower Hamlets in the headlines for the wrong reasons. I am determined to bring the change to the council.”
He has committed to “end to the council spin machine and stop the stream of pointless photo opportunities”. He is targeting “the abuse of East End Life,” the council’s tax-funded newspaper, as a publicity channel and plans to scrap the current Mayor’s £42,000-a-year tax-funded Mercedes and unelected paid advisors.
- 1 Man killed after fall from Bow tower block
- 2 14 charged with alleged drug dealing and money laundering offences
- 3 Two hospitalised as 60 firefighters tackle blaze in Stratford
- 4 Why some families can't leave Bow's 'dangerous structure' tower block
- 5 Revealed: The most popular baby names in your area in 2020
- 6 Panel finds gross misconduct proven against Pc arrested on suspicion of drug dealing
- 7 19 arrested and cash seized in East End dawn drug raids
- 8 Tower hamlets killing: £20,000 reward offered as two men sought for queries
- 9 Police called as furious families told to quit Bow's 'dangerous' block
- 10 The most expensive houses sold in your east London borough in August
There are promises for free school meals for every primary age child, building 1,000 new council homes and creating a council-run lettings agency “to clamp down on rogue landlords”.