Election 2010: Angry Tories demand jail terms for ballot box fraudsters
ANGRY Tory election staff on Monday demanded a detailed inquiry into their allegations of vote rigging. Tower Hamlets Conservative leader Peter Golds said his party had evidence that people seeking election have been packing addresses with names who are t
ANGRY Tory election staff on Monday demanded a detailed inquiry into their allegations of vote rigging.
Tower Hamlets Conservative leader Peter Golds said his party had evidence that people seeking election have been packing addresses with names who are then entitled to vote.
In a letter to the East End's top cop, Commander Paul Rickett, Mr Golds wrote: "This is corruption.
"Simple questions as to whether these voters have their mail at an address, are registered for social security and tax purposes, are registered with a doctor, or even have a bedroom can establish the facts and then the people of this borough will know that elections are free and fair and that those who wish to corrupt the system will pay the price, which is prison and being disbarred from office - with no council allowances."
You may also want to watch:
Mr Golds has detailed eight addresses, some linked to Labour council candidates, that he asked should be investigated.
He outlined one house in Gale Street in Bow where 12 residents are registered as entitled to vote.
- 1 Teenager found dead in Victoria Park
- 2 Driver arrested after police 'drugs patrol' stops car in Whitechapel
- 3 Two in five people in Tower Hamlets may have had Covid-19
- 4 Post deliveries in east London hit by Covid crisis among Royal Mail staff
- 5 'I can save the planet with my seaweed' scientist in east London claims
- 6 Disgraceful management of the pandemic
- 7 Leyton Orient seal late victory over Morecambe
- 8 Drug and alcohol abuse by Tower Hamlets parents and children soars
- 9 Leyton Orient boss Embleton expecting more movement in the transfer window
- 10 'Laptop bonanza' for schoolchildren in Poplar to help survive lockdown gloom
He commented: "This is improbable.
"Numerous other examples of this corruption are coming to light, including a visitor from Bangladesh who arrives with a tourist visa next week, but whose postal vote has already been sent off.
"I believe that to preserve the integrity of our electoral system and the electoral process investigations into the above should commence now. Those who are doing this should be arrested and warned and those false names on the register should be removed before Thursday.