ELECTION: Follow the East London Advertiser live Twitter feed on who is voted mayor of Tower Hamlets
- Credit: LBTH
The Big Count gets under way when the polls close at 10pm tonight for the election of the highly contested Mayor of Tower Hamlets.
Labour’s John Biggs is running for a second term after following independent mayor Lutfur Rahman’s ban from office in 2015 over the corrupt election the year before.
But it’s no easy ride, facing challenges from six rivals for the office that controls an annual £1.2 billion budget.
Rabina Khan is snapping at Labour’s heels for her People’s Alliance of Tower Hamlets after losing to Biggs in 2015.
Ohid Ahmed, former deputy mayor in Rahman’s administration, is running for the Aspire party.
The Lib Dems are fielding Elaine Bagshaw who also ran last time who launched her campaign in Brick Lane this time round with party leader Sir Vince Cable.
Conservatives, Greens and Trade Unionists Coalition are also in the race.
- 1 Man jailed for rape after attacking woman walking back from Canning Town
- 2 Liveable Streets: Councillors remove some Brick Lane closures after 'backlash'
- 3 Housing association apologises after sewage leaks at Isle of Dogs tower blocks
- 4 East London man charged with six terrorism offences
- 5 Man masturbates on Central line train in front of two women
- 6 When are Royal Mail's last posting dates for Christmas 2021?
- 7 Leyton Orient could send goalkeeper Sargeant back out on loan
- 8 Masks, PCR tests and boosters: New measures to combat Omicron variant
- 9 County lines drug dealer jailed
- 10 Things to do in east London this weekend
Big issues facing voters include cuts to school budgets, police cuts and knife crime with a wave of fatal stabbings in the past three years and social housing shortage as well as over-development at the other end of the market straining the mains and drains.
Follow the East London Advertiser’s live Twitter feed @eladvertiser coverage as the night progresses till the result expected about dawn.
The full list of candidates in alphabetical order:
AHMED, Abul Monsur Ohid (Aspire)
ALI, Anwara (Conservative)
BAGSHAW, Elaine Shela (Liberal Democrat)
BIGGS, John Robert (Labour)
JEBB, Ciaran Alasdair (Green)
KHAN, Rabina (People’s Alliance)
PIERRE, Hugo Curtis (Trade Unionist & Socialist Coalition)