ELECTION: Follow the East London Advertiser live Twitter feed on who is voted mayor of Tower Hamlets
- Credit: LBTH
The Big Count gets under way when the polls close at 10pm tonight for the election of the highly contested Mayor of Tower Hamlets.
Labour’s John Biggs is running for a second term after following independent mayor Lutfur Rahman’s ban from office in 2015 over the corrupt election the year before.
But it’s no easy ride, facing challenges from six rivals for the office that controls an annual £1.2 billion budget.
Rabina Khan is snapping at Labour’s heels for her People’s Alliance of Tower Hamlets after losing to Biggs in 2015.
Ohid Ahmed, former deputy mayor in Rahman’s administration, is running for the Aspire party.
You may also want to watch:
The Lib Dems are fielding Elaine Bagshaw who also ran last time who launched her campaign in Brick Lane this time round with party leader Sir Vince Cable.
Conservatives, Greens and Trade Unionists Coalition are also in the race.
- 1 Cops break Covid-19 rules to have haircuts at Bethnal Green police station
- 2 Murder arrest after woman stabbed to death in Whitechapel this morning
- 3 Lovely Day for Aldgate School picked to sing on Billy Ocean's new single
- 4 Police e-fit expert retiring after 15 years at Bethnal Green
- 5 Covid hero who did charity walk in Bow aged 100 now has vaccine
- 6 Fury as family homes vanish when Isle of Dogs landlord converts to bedsits
- 7 Man sentenced after teenage boy groomed on Snapchat to sell heroin
- 8 Two men arrested after police officers assaulted in Limehouse rave
- 9 'Racist consultation' protest rejected on Tower Hamlets street closures as Labour sticks to its manifesto
- 10 Ethnic communities not taking up Covid jabs, Tower Hamlets Mayor warns
Big issues facing voters include cuts to school budgets, police cuts and knife crime with a wave of fatal stabbings in the past three years and social housing shortage as well as over-development at the other end of the market straining the mains and drains.
Follow the East London Advertiser’s live Twitter feed @eladvertiser coverage as the night progresses till the result expected about dawn.
The full list of candidates in alphabetical order:
AHMED, Abul Monsur Ohid (Aspire)
ALI, Anwara (Conservative)
BAGSHAW, Elaine Shela (Liberal Democrat)
BIGGS, John Robert (Labour)
JEBB, Ciaran Alasdair (Green)
KHAN, Rabina (People’s Alliance)
PIERRE, Hugo Curtis (Trade Unionist & Socialist Coalition)