How Tower Hamlets is tackling east London’s housing crisis with public schemes
- Credit: New London Architecture
Public housing schemes drawn up by Tower Hamlets Council are being recognised by a professional architects forum as being among the best in London.
Eight of its developments have been included in a prestigious West End exhibition now open to the public staged by New London Architecture, a professional forum on architecture and development.
The council is recognised for turning to small 'infill' sites to meet the housing demand as well as undertaking large-scale projects like Poplar's £500 million Blackwall Reach regeneration.
"It's vital that we keep pace with unprecedented demand for public housing," deputy Mayor Sirajul Islam said. "But we mustn't allow the need to build quickly to detract from high quality design and community involvement."
Schemes selected for the 'public housing London renaissance' exhibition include Watts Grove in Bromley-by-Bow, Jubilee Street in Stepney, Locksley Estate in Limehouse, Shetland Road in Bow and two in Whitechapel at Hanbury Street and Sidney Street.
You may also want to watch:
The exhibition at the Building Centre in Store Street, off Tottenham Court Road, shows examples of "good design and community engagement" at a time when the housing crisis has had an impact at unprecedented levels, say organisers.
It runs until July 18, weekdays 9.30am to 6pm and Saturdays 10am to 5pm (closed Sundays). A programme of events linked to the exhibition includes a tour of the Blackwall Reach development for members of the architects' forum.
- 1 Jailed: Teenagers who left victim blind in one eye after train stabbing
- 2 Patient group set up over allegations of 'poor care' at Royal London
- 3 New street market coming to Docklands is Will's passion
- 4 Canary Wharf floats idea for new green restaurant on water
- 5 Brick Lane's famous bagel shop launches delivery service
- 6 Updated appeal for information about man last seen in Poplar in January
- 7 Fire crews fight blaze at pub in Hackney Wick
- 8 MPs pledge to fight on for 'forgotten victims' of IRA Canary Wharf bombing
- 9 Jailed: drug dealer who rammed police with stolen car to escape
- 10 Mother and son taken to hospital during "severe" fire in Bow