Families evacuate as blaze breaks out in Stepney on A13 Commercial Road
- Credit: Archant
Families were woken in the night when a blaze broke out in a block of maisonettes in London’s East End.
They were evacuated from the four-storey building at Cornwood Drive, behind Stepney’s George pub in Commercial Road, before emergency fire-crews arrived at 5.30am.
The fire broke out on the second and third floor of a maisonette and spread to a neighbouring property, but all the tenants managed to get to safety in the street as smoke spread along the corridors.
Half the first maisonette was destroyed in the fire, but no-one was injured.
Fire crews from Whitechapel, Poplar and Bethnal Green fire-stations managed to save most of the second maisonette from damage.
You may also want to watch:
Night-time traffic along the A13 Commercial Road was restricted while the bus-lane was cordoned off.
- 1 Murder arrest after woman stabbed to death in Whitechapel this morning
- 2 Fury as family homes vanish when Isle of Dogs landlord converts to bedsits
- 3 Two men arrested after police officers assaulted in Limehouse rave
- 4 Man sentenced after teenage boy groomed on Snapchat to sell heroin
- 5 Airbnb house party violence leaves police officer with broken finger
- 6 Police hunt after stabbing in Cable Street: One man hurt
- 7 'Racist consultation' protest rejected on Tower Hamlets street closures as Labour sticks to its manifesto
- 8 Teenager found dead in Victoria Park
- 9 Council fined for Alexia Walenkaki's playground death in Mile End and says sorry to family
- 10 Covid vaccination hub opening in Westfield next week