Families evacuate as blaze breaks out in Stepney on A13 Commercial Road
- Credit: Archant
Families were woken in the night when a blaze broke out in a block of maisonettes in London’s East End.
They were evacuated from the four-storey building at Cornwood Drive, behind Stepney’s George pub in Commercial Road, before emergency fire-crews arrived at 5.30am.
The fire broke out on the second and third floor of a maisonette and spread to a neighbouring property, but all the tenants managed to get to safety in the street as smoke spread along the corridors.
Half the first maisonette was destroyed in the fire, but no-one was injured.
Fire crews from Whitechapel, Poplar and Bethnal Green fire-stations managed to save most of the second maisonette from damage.
You may also want to watch:
Night-time traffic along the A13 Commercial Road was restricted while the bus-lane was cordoned off.
- 1 Man stabbed outside West India Quay DLR station
- 2 Midfielder Ouss Cisse confirms Leyton Orient departure
- 3 Transfer round-up: Leyton Orient bring in eight as departures find new clubs
- 4 Campaigners taking on town hall to keep Isle of Dogs youth club open
- 5 Data reveals house price rises in Olympic boroughs since London 2012
- 6 Tyrese Omotoye impresses on O's trial as Ouss Cisse looks set to depart
- 7 Eggslut food truck to bring 'edible breakfast cloud' to Shoreditch
- 8 Guilty: Who was jailed across east London in July?
- 9 Police chief to be quizzed at East London Mosque
- 10 Somali kitchen in Bethnal Green gets halal help from Amazon staff