Families evacuate as blaze breaks out in Stepney on A13 Commercial Road
- Credit: Archant
Families were woken in the night when a blaze broke out in a block of maisonettes in London’s East End.
They were evacuated from the four-storey building at Cornwood Drive, behind Stepney’s George pub in Commercial Road, before emergency fire-crews arrived at 5.30am.
The fire broke out on the second and third floor of a maisonette and spread to a neighbouring property, but all the tenants managed to get to safety in the street as smoke spread along the corridors.
Half the first maisonette was destroyed in the fire, but no-one was injured.
Fire crews from Whitechapel, Poplar and Bethnal Green fire-stations managed to save most of the second maisonette from damage.
Night-time traffic along the A13 Commercial Road was restricted while the bus-lane was cordoned off.
- 1 Work begins on £300m Chrisp Street Market redevelopment
- 2 Items from Lidl and Sainsbury's recalled over health and safety concerns
- 3 Council houses named after Matchgirls Strike leader
- 4 Liveable Streets: Councillors remove some Brick Lane closures after 'backlash'
- 5 Housing association apologises after sewage leaks at Isle of Dogs tower blocks
- 6 Man jailed for rape after attacking woman walking back from Canning Town
- 7 Plans to cut up to 600 Tube station jobs amid TfL 'funding crisis'
- 8 Traffic slow moving in Limehouse and Poplar due to burst water main
- 9 County lines drug dealer jailed
- 10 Single van racks up £36k of fines in Tower Hamlets