Families evacuate as blaze breaks out in Stepney on A13 Commercial Road
- Credit: Archant
Families were woken in the night when a blaze broke out in a block of maisonettes in London’s East End.
They were evacuated from the four-storey building at Cornwood Drive, behind Stepney’s George pub in Commercial Road, before emergency fire-crews arrived at 5.30am.
The fire broke out on the second and third floor of a maisonette and spread to a neighbouring property, but all the tenants managed to get to safety in the street as smoke spread along the corridors.
Half the first maisonette was destroyed in the fire, but no-one was injured.
Fire crews from Whitechapel, Poplar and Bethnal Green fire-stations managed to save most of the second maisonette from damage.
You may also want to watch:
Night-time traffic along the A13 Commercial Road was restricted while the bus-lane was cordoned off.
- 1 Mayor or leader: Your choice on May 6
- 2 Covid-19 mass testing after variant detected in E1 postal area
- 3 Politicians join forces on referendum about Tower Hamlets mayor
- 4 Teenager arrested after 13-year-old stabbed in Isle of Dogs
- 5 Ramadan explained: Everything you need to know about the Islamic holy month
- 6 Orient boss McAnuff determined to not help Salford City into the play-offs
- 7 'I'm backing leader and cabinet model in Tower Hamlets referendum'
- 8 Covid patients in intensive care down to single figures at hospital trust
- 9 East London venue to host big-screen Euro 2020 football fanzone
- 10 Man, 19, stabbed in Stepney Green Park