Greens are ‘go’ for General Election bid for Labour’s east London heartland
- Credit: Green Party
Green activists have launched their campaign to take two of east London’s Labour stronghold Parliamentary seats in May 7’s General Election with a protest against local GP surgeries closing down.
Tower Hamlets Green Party supporters came on the streets in Whitechapel on Saturday to back NHS campaigners’ ongoing battle to save 22 surgeries across east London which are threatened with closure over Whitehall budget changes.
Alistair Polson is targeting Rushanara Ali’s Bethnal Green and Bow constituency, while Maureen Childs is going for Jim Fitzpatrick’s neighbouring Poplar and Limehouse seat.
“We want to surgically remove the artificial internal market from the NHS,” Alistair Polson said. “The East End has exceptional needs which mean additional resources as well as research into preventing illness in the first place to improve people’s lives.”
They were joined opposite the Royal London Hospital by medical professionals and the party’s deputy leader Shahrar Ali to kickstart their seven weeks of street canvassing.
You may also want to watch:
Maureen Childs said: “There are no social care places in the whole of Tower Hamlets. Without proper funding, the old, the poor and the vulnerable are likely to be in crisis.”
Party members canvassed support among shoppers in Whitechapel Market, in their strategy to challenge the private finance deals at the Royal London and Barts hospitals and to stop threats to local GP surgeries.
- 1 Jailed: drug dealer who rammed police with stolen car to escape
- 2 East End pays tribute to Prince Philip
- 3 Housing protest at Shadwell's Watney Market over service charges hike
- 4 Boxpark reopening in Shoreditch with face masks and Covid hygiene measures
- 5 Jailed: Smash-and-grab perfume raiders get 18 years between them
- 6 Pictures: Remembering Prince Philip's visits to east London
- 7 'Torrent of hate' stalker tweeted pictures of victim on social media
- 8 Appeal for dashcam footage following stabbing in Stepney churchyard
- 9 Fire crews fight blaze in railway arch in Bow
- 10 New street market coming to Docklands is Will's passion