Hackney Wick station to be shunted closer to Olympic Park in £8m scheme
An £8.5 million scheme to move Hackney Wick railway station in east London further down the track closer to the Olympic Park has been agreed by City Hall—but still has to make the final hurdle to get the cash.
The scheme been put forward by the London Legacy Development Corporation to help boost regeneration of the area around the Olympic Park is one of four projects across London shortlisted for Whitehall regeneration funding.
Improvements would include shunting the Overground station a few hundred yards east, nearer to the park and the iCITY high-tech centre in the former Olympics media centre, installing lifts to the platforms and a new pedestrian route north-to-south through the railway embankment.
It has been agreed by the London Enterprise Panel, the forum for businesses, local authorities, Mayor of London and TfL, and now goes before City Hall’s investment board for the final green light.
Legacy Development Corporation’s Dennis Hone said: “These improvements will help unlock opportunities for business and jobs and improve access to east London.”
You may also want to watch:
The Corporation sees the station modernisation as the key to regenerating the Hackney Wick and Old Ford areas including Fish Island, to create thousands of new jobs and 6,000 new homes.
It is thought to be “80 per cent certain” to get the funding go-ahead. A final decision by the investment board is expected by the New Year, with the work likely to start in February 2015.
- 1 Jailed: Teenagers who left victim blind in one eye after train stabbing
- 2 Patient group set up over allegations of 'poor care' at Royal London
- 3 New street market coming to Docklands is Will's passion
- 4 Canary Wharf floats idea for new green restaurant on water
- 5 Brick Lane's famous bagel shop launches delivery service
- 6 Updated appeal for information about man last seen in Poplar in January
- 7 Fire crews fight blaze at pub in Hackney Wick
- 8 MPs pledge to fight on for 'forgotten victims' of IRA Canary Wharf bombing
- 9 Jailed: drug dealer who rammed police with stolen car to escape
- 10 Mother and son taken to hospital during "severe" fire in Bow