Ken Livingstone calls for Labour to welcome Tower Hamlets Mayor Lutfur Rahman back into Party
- Credit: Archant
Former London Mayor Ken Livingstone has urged the Labour Party to allow Tower Hamlets chief Lutfur Rahman back into the Party.
Mayor of Tower Hamlets Lutfur Rahman was expelled by Labour in 2010 amid allegations of voter fraud and question marks over his funding.
Mr Livingstone - who was Labour’s London Mayor for eight years and lost out to Boris Johnson in 2012 Mayoral race - said he would “absolutely” welcome Mayor Rahman back into the Party.
“Lutfur Rahman was forced out of the Party by lies”, he told the Advertiser.
“He has been carrying out Labour policies – his is one of the most progressive administrations in London.”
You may also want to watch:
Several reports suggested Mr Livingstone had been ridiculed by Labour’s National Executive Committee, which is in charge of membership, when he raised the possibility of Mayor Rahman being re-admitted.
Tower Hamlets Labour Group leader Cllr Joshua Peck was unequivocal in his rejection of the idea.
- 1 Flooding causes road and rail disruption across east London
- 2 Nine Tower Hamlets secondary schools rated outstanding by Ofsted
- 3 Apsana Begum's ex-husband may be behind housing bids, trial hears
- 4 MP reported ex-husband to police for alleged 'harassment', trial hears
- 5 East London road and rail disruptions to travel this weekend
- 6 Man arrested following triple stabbing in Isle of Dogs
- 7 Poplar and Limehouse MP's trial on housing fraud charges set to start
- 8 Weather warning in place with east London set for thundery weekend
- 9 No arrests after triple stabbing in Isle of Dogs
- 10 Appeal after man allegedly 'spits at' woman travelling through Whitechapel, West Ham and Barking
He said: “Perhaps Ken would be wise to spend more time listening to the residents of Tower Hamlets, many of whom are desperate to see the back of Lutfur Rahman and his failed administration.”
Mayor Rahman was not available for comment, but a spokesperson said he would continue to focus on serving the residents of Tower Hamlets to the best of his ability.