Ken Livingstone calls for Labour to welcome Tower Hamlets Mayor Lutfur Rahman back into Party
- Credit: Archant
Former London Mayor Ken Livingstone has urged the Labour Party to allow Tower Hamlets chief Lutfur Rahman back into the Party.
Mayor of Tower Hamlets Lutfur Rahman was expelled by Labour in 2010 amid allegations of voter fraud and question marks over his funding.
Mr Livingstone - who was Labour’s London Mayor for eight years and lost out to Boris Johnson in 2012 Mayoral race - said he would “absolutely” welcome Mayor Rahman back into the Party.
“Lutfur Rahman was forced out of the Party by lies”, he told the Advertiser.
“He has been carrying out Labour policies – his is one of the most progressive administrations in London.”
Several reports suggested Mr Livingstone had been ridiculed by Labour’s National Executive Committee, which is in charge of membership, when he raised the possibility of Mayor Rahman being re-admitted.
Tower Hamlets Labour Group leader Cllr Joshua Peck was unequivocal in his rejection of the idea.
- 1 Man jailed for rape after attacking woman walking back from Canning Town
- 2 Liveable Streets: Councillors remove some Brick Lane closures after 'backlash'
- 3 Housing association apologises after sewage leaks at Isle of Dogs tower blocks
- 4 East London man charged with six terrorism offences
- 5 Man masturbates on Central line train in front of two women
- 6 When are Royal Mail's last posting dates for Christmas 2021?
- 7 Leyton Orient could send goalkeeper Sargeant back out on loan
- 8 Masks, PCR tests and boosters: New measures to combat Omicron variant
- 9 County lines drug dealer jailed
- 10 Trio accused of Bow Lock murder were 'associates' of victim 'Aqil' Mahdi
He said: “Perhaps Ken would be wise to spend more time listening to the residents of Tower Hamlets, many of whom are desperate to see the back of Lutfur Rahman and his failed administration.”
Mayor Rahman was not available for comment, but a spokesperson said he would continue to focus on serving the residents of Tower Hamlets to the best of his ability.