Labour party holds mayoral campaign rally in Newham
- Credit: Archant
Mayoral hopeful John Biggs held a meeting in Newham to rally support for a wider campaign for a “united East End”.
The event was organised by Newham Fabian Society and attended by shadow justice minister Sadiq Khan MP and mayor of Newham Sir Robin Wales.
The meeting was also attended by 75 members of Labour and the Fabian society to rally support for Mr Biggs’s mayoral campaign.
Mr Biggs, who is London Assembly Member for City and East, hopes to unseat mayor of Tower Hamlets Lutfur Rahman in 2014.
Speeches were given by Mr Khan, who is also shadow minister for London, and Sir Robin about why the Labour party thinks it is important to win seats in east London in upcoming elections.
Mr Khan said: “John Biggs is the only candidate for the mayor of Tower Hamlets that is standing for all communities in Tower Hamlets rather than just one.
“He is a fantasticly good candidate who has run councils and has done a great job as London Assembly Member working for Labour’s policy of easing the cost of living crisis.
- 1 Travel bulletin: Islington, Hackney, Tower Hamlets, Newham
- 2 Abba Voyage: A spectacular trip into an enchanted world
- 3 RideLondon 2022: East and central London roads among 100 miles of closures
- 4 Revealed: Your favourite fish and chip shop in east London
- 5 Tower Hamlets neighbours must 'temporarily leave' and pay £85k for building repairs
- 6 Maskless passengers on London trains and buses fined 4,000 times
- 7 Appeal: CCTV image released after mosque attacked with bottles
- 8 Whitechapel dessert shop fined over £5,000 for dumping waste
- 9 Girl, 17, held on suspicion of terrorism offences after east London arrest
- 10 Two teenagers charged after 12 phones nicked in stealing spree
“It’s great that we’re campaigning for a united Tower Hamlets and Newham for one East End and I look forward to John Biggs becoming mayor of Tower Hamlets in 2014.”
Mr Biggs said: “It was a great opportunity to share with members and supporters in Newham the challenges faced in Tower Hamlets.
“The East End is changing very quickly and many of the challenges faced by Newham residents are similar for residents in Tower Hamlets - the affordability of housing, access to jobs, maintaining improvement in our schools, tackling crime and anti-social behaviour, improving the environment, and making sure that development benefits the whole community.
“It’s an exciting challenge and that’s why I want to do it and I welcome the endorsement of Sadiq, Robin and local supporters.”