Landlord fined for damp and mould in Shadwell’s Chapman House block of flats
- Credit: Google
Bad landlords who failed to improve bathroom and kitchen ventilation to stop damp and mould in a block of flats in Shadwell have been fined £1,500 by Thames magistrates.
Their managing agents Andlow Properties admitted a summons for failing to make improvements to Chapman House in Bigland Street and were also slapped with paying Tower Hamlets Council’s £1,228 legal costs.
“We’ll take action where landlords and lettings agents are flouting the law,” Mayor John Biggs said after the hearing. “Legal powers will be used to make sure people are treated fairly, to ensure renters’ safety and have a decent place to live.”
The council received complaints from tenants about the conditions in Chapman House, which led to officers inspecting the 12 flats and issued improvement notices on Andlow Properties ordering the m to provide certificates proving electrical and fire safety and to improve ventilation in the bathrooms and kitchens.
But improvements had not been made and the council began legal enforcement against the letting agent and freeholders.
The conditions landlords are required to adhere to are in Tower Hamlets Renters’ Charter aimed at making sure tenants are living in safe conditions.
You may also want to watch:
The council is continuing to take on “rogue landlords and letting agents”, it warns, by prosecuting those failing to maintain living conditions.
- 1 Murder arrest after woman stabbed to death in Whitechapel this morning
- 2 Fury as family homes vanish when Isle of Dogs landlord converts to bedsits
- 3 Man sentenced after teenage boy groomed on Snapchat to sell heroin
- 4 Lovely Day for Aldgate School picked to sing on Billy Ocean's new single
- 5 Leyton Orient announce partnership with Hartford Athletic
- 6 Two men arrested after police officers assaulted in Limehouse rave
- 7 Covid vaccination hub opening in Westfield next week
- 8 Teenager found dead in Victoria Park
- 9 Police hunt after stabbing in Cable Street: One man hurt