Gold for Canary Wharf as ‘best town centre’ in bloomin’ London awards
- Credit: Ciaran McCrickard
The parks and gardens of the East End have held their turf along with Canary Wharf with top awards at this year’s London in Bloom contest.
They did bloomin' well among 300 rival entries at the awards held this year at Mile End arts pavilion when they were welcomed by the Speaker of Tower Hamlets Council Victoria Obaze.
Canary Wharf won gold for "best town or city centre" while the council won joint gold for "best city" along with Islington.
There was a double win for Victoria Park getting two golds for "best heritage garden" and "best large park".
Tower Hamlets Cemetery Park at Mile End won a gold for "best large cemetery", while Trinity Square Gardens at Tower Hill won two silvers as runner-up for "best heritage park or garden" and "best small park".
You may also want to watch:
Neighbourhood awards went to Gill Street GP surgery and Limehouse youth hub, Lady Mico's Almshouses in Stepney and Cranbrook community food garden in Bethnal Green.
- 1 Election 2021: Live updates for GLA seat and referendums
- 2 Tower Hamlets votes to keep directly-elected mayoral post
- 3 Early front-runners for Leyton Orient managerial vacancy
- 4 Leyton Orient defender Josh Coulson set to depart
- 5 Blaze at Canary Wharf tower block with cladding issue
- 6 Racist vandalism keyed on cars parked in street on Isle of Dogs
- 7 Mayor or leader: Your choice on May 6
- 8 Politicians join forces on referendum about Tower Hamlets mayor
- 9 'I'm backing leader and cabinet model in Tower Hamlets referendum'
- 10 New Providence Wharf fire: Two in hospital and 42 treated at scene