Children at Poplar’s Mayflower Primary ‘top in the country’ for maths and reading
- Credit: Mike Brooke
The top school in the country for best standard assessment tests has been named as Poplar’s Mayflower Primary.
The school in Upper North Street is in first place in a survey of all 1,500 State and independent primary schools.
Mayflower primary, which the Queen visited in 2017 to mark the centenary of the First World War bombing which devastated the school in 1917, was identified as top school in a Parent Power survey by the Sunday Times.
"This is a fantastic achievement," Mayflower's Headteacher Dee Bleach said. "This is testament to the hard work of pupils and teachers at the school."
The survey ranked the top 250 schools by the average scores in reading, grammar and mathematics in tests taken last year.
You may also want to watch:
Mayflower achieved a reading score of 114, grammar 119 and maths 117, giving an aggregate of 350 from 50 pupils sitting SAT tests, higher than all other schools in the survey.
The achievement at Mayflower comes in a year when Ofsted rated Tower Hamlets children's services "good", just two years after it was given an inadequate rating. This represented "remarkable progress", according to Ofsted.
- 1 Teenager found dead in Victoria Park
- 2 Driver arrested after police 'drugs patrol' stops car in Whitechapel
- 3 Two in five people in Tower Hamlets may have had Covid-19
- 4 Post deliveries in east London hit by Covid crisis among Royal Mail staff
- 5 'I can save the planet with my seaweed' scientist in east London claims
- 6 Disgraceful management of the pandemic
- 7 Leyton Orient boss Embleton expecting more movement in the transfer window
- 8 Drug and alcohol abuse by Tower Hamlets parents and children soars
- 9 Leyton Orient seal late victory over Morecambe
- 10 Leyton Orient sign Dan Kemp on a permanent deal from West Ham United