Children at Poplar’s Mayflower Primary ‘top in the country’ for maths and reading
- Credit: Mike Brooke
The top school in the country for best standard assessment tests has been named as Poplar’s Mayflower Primary.
The school in Upper North Street is in first place in a survey of all 1,500 State and independent primary schools.
Mayflower primary, which the Queen visited in 2017 to mark the centenary of the First World War bombing which devastated the school in 1917, was identified as top school in a Parent Power survey by the Sunday Times.
"This is a fantastic achievement," Mayflower's Headteacher Dee Bleach said. "This is testament to the hard work of pupils and teachers at the school."
The survey ranked the top 250 schools by the average scores in reading, grammar and mathematics in tests taken last year.
You may also want to watch:
Mayflower achieved a reading score of 114, grammar 119 and maths 117, giving an aggregate of 350 from 50 pupils sitting SAT tests, higher than all other schools in the survey.
The achievement at Mayflower comes in a year when Ofsted rated Tower Hamlets children's services "good", just two years after it was given an inadequate rating. This represented "remarkable progress", according to Ofsted.
- 1 Transfer round-up: Leyton Orient bring in eight as departures find new clubs
- 2 Police chief to be quizzed at East London Mosque
- 3 Leyton Orient boosted by potential returns of Smyth and Drinan for Salford trip
- 4 Man stabbed outside West India Quay DLR station
- 5 Midfielder Ouss Cisse confirms Leyton Orient departure
- 6 Budding east London cricketers invited to watch The Hundred
- 7 Legendary east London graffiti pub to reopen after 26 years
- 8 Somali kitchen in Bethnal Green gets halal help from Amazon staff
- 9 Things to do in east London this weekend (August 7-8)
- 10 Youngsters have put themselves in Jackett's plans at Orient says Pratley