‘Utterly insensitive’: Mayor slams Donald Trump’s state visit
- Credit: PA
Mayor of Tower Hamlets John Biggs has branded Donald Trump “utterly insensitive” and said that the US president’s state visit should never have happened.
The comments came as Mr Trump began a three-day tour of the UK.
Taking to social media to comment - something Mr Trump has become famous for during his presidency - Mr Biggs said: "Donald Trump has shown himself to be utterly insensitive to the rights of others.
"He says and does things which are racist, Islamophobic and misogynistic.
"He doesn't share our values of tolerance and celebrating diversity.
You may also want to watch:
"He should not have been offered a state visit and is not welcome in Tower Hamlets which is no place for hate."
But while Mr Trump is not set to visit the borough as part of his tour, it has played a role in the trip.
- 1 Driver, 18, wanted for driving wrong way through Blackwall Tunnel
- 2 Luxury Canary Wharf flats going for lower rent set by the council
- 3 Isle of Dogs man who murdered teenager at Crossharbour DLR sentenced to 27 years
- 4 Man charged after triple stabbing on night bus in Mile End
- 5 'Grief and queer coming of age' theatre show to be put on for London Horror Festival
- 6 Go-ahead given for 315 more homes in third stage of Blackwall Reach scheme
- 7 19 arrested and cash seized in East End dawn drug raids
- 8 Why TfL won't restart the night tube on Jubilee line just yet
- 9 Man killed after fall from Bow tower block
- 10 Road and rail disruptions to expect in east London this week
On Monday, the first day of Mr Trump's visit, royal gun salutes were fired at both the Tower of London and Green Park to mark the president's arrival.