‘Utterly insensitive’: Mayor slams Donald Trump’s state visit
- Credit: PA
Mayor of Tower Hamlets John Biggs has branded Donald Trump “utterly insensitive” and said that the US president’s state visit should never have happened.
The comments came as Mr Trump began a three-day tour of the UK.
Taking to social media to comment - something Mr Trump has become famous for during his presidency - Mr Biggs said: "Donald Trump has shown himself to be utterly insensitive to the rights of others.
"He says and does things which are racist, Islamophobic and misogynistic.
"He doesn't share our values of tolerance and celebrating diversity.
You may also want to watch:
"He should not have been offered a state visit and is not welcome in Tower Hamlets which is no place for hate."
But while Mr Trump is not set to visit the borough as part of his tour, it has played a role in the trip.
- 1 Teenager found dead in Victoria Park
- 2 Driver arrested after police 'drugs patrol' stops car in Whitechapel
- 3 Two in five people in Tower Hamlets may have had Covid-19
- 4 'I can save the planet with my seaweed' scientist in east London claims
- 5 Drug and alcohol abuse by Tower Hamlets parents and children soars
- 6 Disgraceful management of the pandemic
- 7 'Laptop bonanza' for schoolchildren in Poplar to help survive lockdown gloom
- 8 Post deliveries in east London hit by Covid crisis among Royal Mail staff
- 9 That's so raven: Everything you need to know about the guardians of the Tower
- 10 Pressure on government to provide laptops for lockdown learning
On Monday, the first day of Mr Trump's visit, royal gun salutes were fired at both the Tower of London and Green Park to mark the president's arrival.