‘Utterly insensitive’: Mayor slams Donald Trump’s state visit
- Credit: PA
Mayor of Tower Hamlets John Biggs has branded Donald Trump “utterly insensitive” and said that the US president’s state visit should never have happened.
The comments came as Mr Trump began a three-day tour of the UK.
Taking to social media to comment - something Mr Trump has become famous for during his presidency - Mr Biggs said: "Donald Trump has shown himself to be utterly insensitive to the rights of others.
"He says and does things which are racist, Islamophobic and misogynistic.
"He doesn't share our values of tolerance and celebrating diversity.
You may also want to watch:
"He should not have been offered a state visit and is not welcome in Tower Hamlets which is no place for hate."
But while Mr Trump is not set to visit the borough as part of his tour, it has played a role in the trip.
- 1 Mayoral election 2021: how will candidates improve east London?
- 2 Jailed: drug dealer who rammed police with stolen car to escape
- 3 Beer gardens reopening with face marks, sanitisers and cobblestones
- 4 Boxpark reopening in Shoreditch with face masks and Covid hygiene measures
- 5 Housing protest at Shadwell's Watney Market over service charges hike
- 6 Hundreds of customers descend on reopened retailers
- 7 New street market coming to Docklands is Will's passion
- 8 East End pays tribute to Prince Philip
- 9 'Torrent of hate' stalker tweeted pictures of victim on social media
- 10 Jailed: Smash-and-grab perfume raiders get 18 years between them
On Monday, the first day of Mr Trump's visit, royal gun salutes were fired at both the Tower of London and Green Park to mark the president's arrival.