‘Utterly insensitive’: Mayor slams Donald Trump’s state visit
- Credit: PA
Mayor of Tower Hamlets John Biggs has branded Donald Trump “utterly insensitive” and said that the US president’s state visit should never have happened.
The comments came as Mr Trump began a three-day tour of the UK.
Taking to social media to comment - something Mr Trump has become famous for during his presidency - Mr Biggs said: "Donald Trump has shown himself to be utterly insensitive to the rights of others.
"He says and does things which are racist, Islamophobic and misogynistic.
"He doesn't share our values of tolerance and celebrating diversity.
You may also want to watch:
"He should not have been offered a state visit and is not welcome in Tower Hamlets which is no place for hate."
But while Mr Trump is not set to visit the borough as part of his tour, it has played a role in the trip.
- 1 Tower Hamlets stages Covid jab festival
- 2 Tyrese Omotoye impresses on O's trial as Ouss Cisse looks set to depart
- 3 Guilty: Who was jailed across east London in July?
- 4 Midfielder Ouss Cisse confirms Leyton Orient departure
- 5 Campaigners oppose plans to change voting system for Tower Hamlets mayor
- 6 From Shoreditch to Las Vegas: New bingo hall for Hackney
- 7 Tube strike suspended to allow for further talks
- 8 'Vexatious charges': MP turns on accusers after acquittal in fraud trial
- 9 Vigil for June Harvey one year on from Bow crane tragedy
- 10 Leyton Orient boss Kenny Jackett pleased with pre-season preparations
On Monday, the first day of Mr Trump's visit, royal gun salutes were fired at both the Tower of London and Green Park to mark the president's arrival.