Mayor of London Boris Johnson slammed over fire meeting no-show
- Credit: Archant
Mayor of London Boris Johnson has been blasted for failing to turn up to public meetings on the future of the capital’s fire services.
Mr Johnson snubbed the consultation events over plans to shut down 12 fire stations across the capital, including Bow and Silvertown.
And he has been slammed by London Assembly Members, who urged people to ramp up the pressure on the Mayor.
Assembly Member and Labour’s Mayoral candidate for Tower Hamlets John Biggs said: “Boris has refused to attend any of the fire cuts public meetings to make the argument for the cuts he has demanded from the London Fire Brigade. He has made life harder for Londoners and they have a right to be angry.
“The Mayor gets a lot of media attention for what he says but not nearly enough attention is paid to what he does, or in most cases hasn’t done for London.”
You may also want to watch:
But Mr Johnson is due to be quizzed from 7.30-9.30pm on Wednesday evening at the State of London debate in Methodist Central Hall, Westminster.
- 1 Murder arrest after woman stabbed to death in Whitechapel this morning
- 2 Fury as family homes vanish when Isle of Dogs landlord converts to bedsits
- 3 Two men arrested after police officers assaulted in Limehouse rave
- 4 Man sentenced after teenage boy groomed on Snapchat to sell heroin
- 5 Airbnb house party violence leaves police officer with broken finger
- 6 Police hunt after stabbing in Cable Street: One man hurt
- 8 Teenager found dead in Victoria Park
- 9 Council fined for Alexia Walenkaki's playground death in Mile End and says sorry to family
- 10 Covid vaccination hub opening in Westfield next week