Mayor picks Punam’s penguin for his official Tower Hamlets Christmas card
- Credit: Punam Kundu
A penguin has been picked by the Mayor of Tower Hamlets for his official Christmas card from the town hall which has been drawn by a four-year-old.
Little Punam Kundu, who has just started at Harry Gosling school in Whitechapel, won this year’s Mayor of Tower Hamlets’ competition for primary schools.
She beat 300 other children, which gave mayor John Biggs a bit of a poser.
“It was difficult to pick the winner,” he said. “The standard of entries was very high.
“It’s fantastic to see so many different designs from schoolchildren. We have talented youngsters in the East End.”
You may also want to watch:
Two runners-up also get their designs selected for Yuletide greetings from the town hall.
The design by Priyanaka Ghosh from Osmani primary in Whitechapel goes on Children’s Services director Debbie Jones’s Christmas card, while the one by 11-year-old Emma Ahaotu from Marner primary in Bromley-by-Bow features on chief executive Will Tuckley’s card.
- 1 Poplar MP tells court: 'I fled home when brother said I was possessed'
- 2 Leyton Orient boss Jackett full of praise for Sotiriou after Magpies win
- 3 Ice cream parlour with 'no added sugar' to open in Canary Wharf
- 4 Fire Brigade deluged with calls for help as floods sweep east London
- 5 Flooding causes road and rail disruption across east London
- 6 Community patrols to stamp out Poplar's street crime
- 7 Nine Tower Hamlets secondary schools rated outstanding by Ofsted
- 8 MP reported ex-husband to police for alleged 'harassment', trial hears
- 9 Apsana Begum's ex-husband may be behind housing bids, trial hears
- 10 Poplar and Limehouse MP's trial on housing fraud charges set to start
All three get book tokens and are invited to a slap-up Christmas lunch munch at the town hall.
Punam’s penguin stood out with its bright colour scheme—although these handsome creatures are more at home in Antarctica than the North Pole where Santa lives. But then, Santa travels the globe on his Christmas Eve round trip.