Mayor picks Punam’s penguin for his official Tower Hamlets Christmas card
- Credit: Punam Kundu
A penguin has been picked by the Mayor of Tower Hamlets for his official Christmas card from the town hall which has been drawn by a four-year-old.
Little Punam Kundu, who has just started at Harry Gosling school in Whitechapel, won this year’s Mayor of Tower Hamlets’ competition for primary schools.
She beat 300 other children, which gave mayor John Biggs a bit of a poser.
“It was difficult to pick the winner,” he said. “The standard of entries was very high.
“It’s fantastic to see so many different designs from schoolchildren. We have talented youngsters in the East End.”
You may also want to watch:
Two runners-up also get their designs selected for Yuletide greetings from the town hall.
The design by Priyanaka Ghosh from Osmani primary in Whitechapel goes on Children’s Services director Debbie Jones’s Christmas card, while the one by 11-year-old Emma Ahaotu from Marner primary in Bromley-by-Bow features on chief executive Will Tuckley’s card.
- 1 Murder arrest after woman stabbed to death in Whitechapel this morning
- 2 Fury as family homes vanish when Isle of Dogs landlord converts to bedsits
- 3 Man sentenced after teenage boy groomed on Snapchat to sell heroin
- 4 Two men arrested after police officers assaulted in Limehouse rave
- 5 Police hunt after stabbing in Cable Street: One man hurt
- 6 Leyton Orient announce partnership with Hartford Athletic
- 7 Airbnb house party violence leaves police officer with broken finger
- 8 'Racist consultation' protest rejected on Tower Hamlets street closures as Labour sticks to its manifesto
- 9 Council fined for Alexia Walenkaki's playground death in Mile End and says sorry to family
- 10 Leyton Orient boss is expecting more transfer movement in the window
All three get book tokens and are invited to a slap-up Christmas lunch munch at the town hall.
Punam’s penguin stood out with its bright colour scheme—although these handsome creatures are more at home in Antarctica than the North Pole where Santa lives. But then, Santa travels the globe on his Christmas Eve round trip.