Families get ‘virtual reality’ fitness tasters at Mile End’s revamped leisure centre
- Credit: Rehan Jamil
Families have had a first look at new ‘virtual reality’ keep fit facilities now open at Mile End Park leisure centre.
The ribbon was cut by Tower Hamlets Mayor John Biggs and his cabinet member for culture Amina Ali at the free family ‘open day’ to mark completion of the £250,000 project.
“This will encourage more people to use the facilities,” the mayor was hoping.
“Perhaps they will try out new activities and take part in more physical activity.”
The improvements are part of a £1.5m town hall programme announced last year with the GLL leisure centre operators to get the East End fitter.
You may also want to watch:
GLL’s Simon Sen said: “These upgrades provide accessible sport and leisure facilities, to get more people more active more often.”
Improvements at Mile End include equipment and refurbished of fitness studio spaces, as well as a new group cycle studio offering virtual classes.
- 1 Driver arrested after police 'drugs patrol' stops car in Whitechapel
- 2 Teenager found dead in Victoria Park
- 3 Two in five people in Tower Hamlets may have had Covid-19
- 4 Leyton Orient sign Dan Kemp on a permanent deal from West Ham United
- 5 Drug and alcohol abuse by Tower Hamlets parents and children soars
- 6 'Laptop bonanza' for schoolchildren in Poplar to help survive lockdown gloom
- 7 'I can save the planet with my seaweed' scientist in east London claims
- 8 Students in rent strike over Queen Mary's campus staying open during Covid emergency
- 9 Post deliveries in east London hit by Covid crisis among Royal Mail staff
- 10 Gun seized after woman tells police she was threatened in Whitechapel
Visitors are being encouraged to test out the facilities with free ‘taster’ sessions in the cycle studio and a new soft play area for children.
Upgraded facilities are being installed at all East End leisure centres including the John Orwell in Wapping, the Tiller in Millwall and the Whitechapel sports centre as well as Mile End.