MP Jim Fitzpatrick calls on Government to help Olympic volunteers continue
Olympic ‘host’ borough MP Jim Fitzpatrick has tonight demanded to know what volunteering opportunities have been given to the Games Makers since the end of London 2012.
He has quizzed the Department for Culture, Media and Sport in a series of Parliamentary Questions on post-Olympic volunteering and what it has done to support the 70,000 volunteers in local opportunities since the Olympics.
“We owe a great deal to the volunteers,” the Poplar & Limehouse MP said. “I want to know what has been done to carry on the volunteering in the community.
“Supporting further volunteering opportunities will make sure the Olympic legacy carries on in every street, sports centre and school.
“But if this great opportunity is lost, the Olympic boom will quickly turn to bust.”
You may also want to watch:
He is concerned that an opportunity for further community volunteering in Tower Hamlets and other London boroughs will be lost unless action is taken.
- 1 Jailed: drug dealer who rammed police with stolen car to escape
- 2 Mayoral election 2021: how will candidates improve east London?
- 3 Beer gardens reopening with face marks, sanitisers and cobblestones
- 4 Housing protest at Shadwell's Watney Market over service charges hike
- 5 Boxpark reopening in Shoreditch with face masks and Covid hygiene measures
- 6 East End pays tribute to Prince Philip
- 7 'Torrent of hate' stalker tweeted pictures of victim on social media
- 8 Opposing 'privatisation of NHS by stealth'
- 9 New street market coming to Docklands is Will's passion
- 10 Here's why people stay longer in the East End despite the crime