MP Jim Fitzpatrick calls on Government to help Olympic volunteers continue
Olympic ‘host’ borough MP Jim Fitzpatrick has tonight demanded to know what volunteering opportunities have been given to the Games Makers since the end of London 2012.
He has quizzed the Department for Culture, Media and Sport in a series of Parliamentary Questions on post-Olympic volunteering and what it has done to support the 70,000 volunteers in local opportunities since the Olympics.
“We owe a great deal to the volunteers,” the Poplar & Limehouse MP said. “I want to know what has been done to carry on the volunteering in the community.
“Supporting further volunteering opportunities will make sure the Olympic legacy carries on in every street, sports centre and school.
“But if this great opportunity is lost, the Olympic boom will quickly turn to bust.”
You may also want to watch:
He is concerned that an opportunity for further community volunteering in Tower Hamlets and other London boroughs will be lost unless action is taken.
- 1 Poplar MP acquitted of Tower Hamlets housing fraud
- 2 Jury sent home for the day in MP Apsana Begum's trial on housing fraud charges
- 3 Home Office pours £1m into tackling drug-related problems in East End
- 4 Unlocked rooms created 'radiation exposure risk' at hospital, inspectors report
- 5 East London travel disruption round-up for the week ahead
- 6 'Vexatious charges': MP turns on accusers after acquittal in fraud trial
- 7 Apsana Begum's ex-husband may be behind housing bids, trial hears
- 8 Poplar MP tells court: 'I fled home when brother said I was possessed'
- 9 Mum plans to use Raine's Foundation site for new East Park church school
- 10 Jailed: Cyclist who rode off after fatal collision with 'gentleman', 72