MP Jim Fitzpatrick calls on Government to help Olympic volunteers continue
Olympic ‘host’ borough MP Jim Fitzpatrick has tonight demanded to know what volunteering opportunities have been given to the Games Makers since the end of London 2012.
He has quizzed the Department for Culture, Media and Sport in a series of Parliamentary Questions on post-Olympic volunteering and what it has done to support the 70,000 volunteers in local opportunities since the Olympics.
“We owe a great deal to the volunteers,” the Poplar & Limehouse MP said. “I want to know what has been done to carry on the volunteering in the community.
“Supporting further volunteering opportunities will make sure the Olympic legacy carries on in every street, sports centre and school.
“But if this great opportunity is lost, the Olympic boom will quickly turn to bust.”
You may also want to watch:
He is concerned that an opportunity for further community volunteering in Tower Hamlets and other London boroughs will be lost unless action is taken.
- 1 Teenager found dead in Victoria Park
- 2 Driver arrested after police 'drugs patrol' stops car in Whitechapel
- 3 Two in five people in Tower Hamlets may have had Covid-19
- 4 'I can save the planet with my seaweed' scientist in east London claims
- 5 Disgraceful management of the pandemic
- 6 Drug and alcohol abuse by Tower Hamlets parents and children soars
- 7 'Laptop bonanza' for schoolchildren in Poplar to help survive lockdown gloom
- 8 Post deliveries in east London hit by Covid crisis among Royal Mail staff
- 9 That's so raven: Everything you need to know about the guardians of the Tower
- 10 Pressure on government to provide laptops for lockdown learning