MP Jim Fitzpatrick calls on Government to help Olympic volunteers continue
Olympic ‘host’ borough MP Jim Fitzpatrick has tonight demanded to know what volunteering opportunities have been given to the Games Makers since the end of London 2012.
He has quizzed the Department for Culture, Media and Sport in a series of Parliamentary Questions on post-Olympic volunteering and what it has done to support the 70,000 volunteers in local opportunities since the Olympics.
“We owe a great deal to the volunteers,” the Poplar & Limehouse MP said. “I want to know what has been done to carry on the volunteering in the community.
“Supporting further volunteering opportunities will make sure the Olympic legacy carries on in every street, sports centre and school.
“But if this great opportunity is lost, the Olympic boom will quickly turn to bust.”
You may also want to watch:
He is concerned that an opportunity for further community volunteering in Tower Hamlets and other London boroughs will be lost unless action is taken.
- 1 Isle of Dogs man who murdered teenager at Crossharbour DLR sentenced to 27 years
- 2 Man charged after triple stabbing on night bus in Mile End
- 3 New pizza restaurant opening with drag and disco party
- 4 Man killed after fall from Bow tower block
- 5 Why TfL won't restart the night tube on Jubilee line just yet
- 6 19 arrested and cash seized in East End dawn drug raids
- 7 14 charged with alleged drug dealing and money laundering offences
- 8 Hundreds arrested after police crackdown on county lines
- 9 Rabina Khan: 'We need powers to hold housing associations accountable'
- 10 Police officers save lives in two sperate emergencies on same shift