MP Jim Fitzpatrick signs Holocaust Pledge for the millons murdered
- Credit: Jim Fitz
MP Jim Fitzpatrick has signed a ‘Book of Commitment’ in Parliament for Holocaust Memorial Day to honour the millions who died.
The Poplar & Limehouse MP has publicly pledged to support Sunday’s 68th anniversary of the liberation of Auschwitz-Birkenau, the Nazi death camp which saw the largest mass murder in history.
More than a-million Jewish men, women and children died at Auschwitz alone, with another five million in other Nazi extermination camps in Occupied Europe.
The ‘Book of Commitment’ has been placed in the House of Commons by the Holocaust Educational Trust, giving MPs the chance to honour innocent civilians who were persecuted and murdered.
“Prejudice and hatred still exists in our communities,” said the MP. “But we need to show it has no place in society today.
You may also want to watch:
“This is an important opportunity to remember the victims and remind ourselves why we need to oppose intolerance.”
Commemorative events have been arranged by schools, faith groups and community organisations to remember all the victims of the Holocaust and the genocides that have occurred across the world since.
- 1 Man stabbed outside West India Quay DLR station
- 2 Midfielder Ouss Cisse confirms Leyton Orient departure
- 3 Transfer round-up: Leyton Orient bring in eight as departures find new clubs
- 4 Data reveals house price rises in Olympic boroughs since London 2012
- 5 Campaigners taking on town hall to keep Isle of Dogs youth club open
- 6 Police chief to be quizzed at East London Mosque
- 7 Tyrese Omotoye impresses on O's trial as Ouss Cisse looks set to depart
- 8 Eggslut food truck to bring 'edible breakfast cloud' to Shoreditch
- 9 Guilty: Who was jailed across east London in July?
- 10 Somali kitchen in Bethnal Green gets halal help from Amazon staff