Muslim preacher Anjem Choudary tells Bethnal Green crowd to claim ‘Jihad Seeker’s Allowance’
- Credit: PA Wire/Press Association Images
Radical Muslim cleric Anjem Choudary has urged supporters in Bethnal Green to claim “Jihad Seeker’s Allowance”.
The controversial preacher was speaking at a community centre when he ridiculed non-Muslims who held down regular nine-five jobs.
The father-of-four was secretly filmed laughing as he told supporters: “You find people are busy working the whole of their life.
“They wake up at seven o’clock. They go to work at nine o’clock. They work for eight, nine hours a day. They come home at seven o’clock, watch EastEnders, sleep, and they do that for 40 years of their life. That is called slavery.”
Speaking on February 12, he boasted that many prominent Islamic figures had only worked one or two days each year.
“The rest of the year they were busy with jihad (holy war) and things like that”, he continued.
“People will say, ‘Ah, but you are not working’. But the normal situation is for you to take money from the kuffar (non-believer).
- 1 Cyclist in hospital after lorry collision in Whitechapel
- 2 Flats under construction in Hackney Wick to be knocked down and rebuilt
- 3 Section 60 in place across Tower Hamlets after Stepney stabbing
- 4 Cycle paths joined up in Aldgate creates 'safe route' through east London
- 5 Whitechapel nun pens book of 12 stories to inspire selflessness in society
- 6 Warnings issued after four fox clubs found stuck in old car wheels
- 7 'Lucky' escape: Family flees Bethnal Green fire thanks to fire alarms
- 8 Mile End: Car crashes into bus stop during police pursuit
- 9 'A horrific attack': Man suffers critical head injuries from Shoreditch fight
- 10 'Staffing crisis' means children's hospice cannot offer end of life care
“So we take Jihad Seeker’s Allowance. You need to get support.”
Mr Choudary has since insisted his comments were made in jest.
He has recently voiced his support for ‘Muslim patrols’ carried out in east London.